User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keithwjones
(member) Fri 06-Dec-13 17:15:08
Print Post

BT Infinity Speed Decrease

[link to this post]

Signed up for Infinity 2 in May.

Your broadband speed
We estimate your download speed will be: 53.2Mb
We estimate your upload speed will be: 15.7Mb

Settled down to
52 - 51.2 - 9.26

Checked occasionally and was about same. Upload has never been above 10.

Saw Openreach in street today so I did speed test
44.5 - 41.6 - 9.37

When I look at BT predicted speed test it now says I should get 43.7 and 10Mb.

So a drop in speed and they have lined their tester up to the lower speed.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Keith

Edited by keithwjones (Fri 06-Dec-13 17:22:20)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-Dec-13 18:01:20
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Speed Decrease

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

That's what they do frown. Estimates have always adjusted towards actual over time on a given line, and currently Openreach/BT Wholesale seem to have revised all estimates downwards anyway. For at least the second time in two years.

Quite a lot of mention of this in the Fibre forum. Contrary to what BT want you to believe, BT Retail Infinity is just their fibre offering. As with ADSLx there are well over 100 alternative ISPs offering the same technology, based on Openreach FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 06-Dec-13 20:53:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

For some (including me) the second (very recent) estimate change revised the estimate upwards. I was always above estimate (apart from when I had a fault), now the estimate is a pretty good match.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Dec-13 02:33:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As with ADSLx there are well over 100 alternative ISPs offering the same technology, based on Openreach FTTC.
With much the same speeds on FTTC, unlike ADSL.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Dec-13 11:12:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
With much the same speeds on FTTC, unlike ADSL.

Until we get wires only FTTC. :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Dec-13 12:54:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Does that make a diff?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 07-Dec-13 13:03:41
Print Post

this comment confuses me.

each isp still has their own transit and peering arrangements as well as their own fttc backhaul so performances can still vary.

on top of this plusnet has traffic management, and I am seeing some disturbing looking posts on their forums where people have reported weird speed issues which I guess are congested/qos related but misdiagnosed as local cpe issues.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 07-Dec-13 13:15:57
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I was talking sync speeds. The kit in the cab is the the same, operated by BTOR.

Yes, I agree, throughput and management might vary with ISPs.

Standard User keithwjones
(member) Sun 08-Dec-13 09:39:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Does that make a diff?

Simple answer is no.

In my Orange days I was getting a regular speed of 6 on their up to 8. To be honest day to day I do not notice much difference from then even on over 50.

I suppose the point is they estimated 53 and I got that. Months later the speed drops and so does their estimate. So it is not about what I am capable of getting but what they are capable of providing.

Not going to get too worried about it. From start of internet I have been lucky with reliability and speeds, mainly with Orange.

Keith
Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Sun 08-Dec-13 11:40:40
Print Post

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

Hi

Crosstalk, the interference between your pair of wires and other people with VDSL, becomes more of a problem as more people sign up.

BT will be able to adjust their estimates as time goes on based on real world data, and I suspect the adjusting down of line speeds is to take into account the likely speed a customer will end up with once the cabinet is at or near capacity, and so crosstalk is at a maximum.

Our sync speed governs the maximum speed we can get less overheads, of course the minimum speed is decided by our ISP and the bandwidth or traffic priority we get or are willing to pay for, as well as the fibre capacity between the cabinet and the exchange.

Regards

Phil
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to