User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bigjohn
(newbie) Sat 14-Dec-13 16:28:00
Print Post

New BT Infinity install coming......

[link to this post]

Can anyone tell me if there's anything special I need to have or do before the engineer arrives next week ?

There's just so much blurb etc on their site. I understand that they change the faceplate of the main socket, but I'm unsure what difference that makes.

As I've got my current service/router/modem etc connected to an extension socket (a 2 plug ADSLnation one) upstairs. Which is where I want the home hub device to stay i.e. with my PC......

Or will I need to get some power over ethernet plugs etc and they will only connect the service to the main socket with it's new faceplate ? so that I can still transfer the connection from the PC ?

dunno if that makes sense (does to me but I'm sitting here looking at it all), but any guidance or suggestions would be helpful.

regards

John........

What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away!

Tom Waits.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Dec-13 17:30:30
Print Post

Re: New BT Infinity install coming......

[re: bigjohn] [link to this post]

My installer replaced the ancient socket and front plate and ran an extension to where my old ADSL router lived in the next room drilling through the door frame and tacking the cable to the skirting board which was an improvement on my DIY bodge of black tape and hiding under the edge of the carpet. Sounds like yours is a much longer run than that.

Coffee or tea and biscuits are usually welcome of course.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Dec-13 18:04:46
Print Post

Cross your fingers it ain't a Kellys or MJ Quinns contractor then wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bigjohn
(newbie) Sun 15-Dec-13 08:37:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Oh well, looks like it'll have to be a couple of power over ethernet connectors then. The line comes in by the front door, where the main box is situated, but all the lines are buried in the walls - and as the whole lot has only just been decorated, I'm not gonna have them (Kellys are more likely around here) drilling holes adnauseum around the house.

Besides, power over ethernet connectors will allow me to just plug a wifi extender in anywhere.......

Not the best solution but given that I can't get the time off at this time of year, so the F-I-L will have to be here to let them in, it's most likely the easiest until I can work out the best way of transferring the connection back upstairs to my office.......

What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away!

Tom Waits.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 13:10:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Cross your fingers it ain't a Kellyswink

Kellys guy did a great job for me smile

Ran a nice new wire all the way to where I wanted the HH5 box without a moan at all.

Mind you tea and biscuits.. Always seem to work.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Sun 15-Dec-13 13:19:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by bigjohn:
Oh well, looks like it'll have to be a couple of power over ethernet connectors then.

I think you mean powerline adaptors,
power over ethernet is for powering small devices though their ethernet connection
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 16:49:52
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

I'm glad he did a good job for you.

I spend a lot of time clearing up after his less than scrupulous colleagues. Bodged installs, and even ones they have booked off as done without even doing a stitch of work.

Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Dec-13 17:32:06
Print Post

Oh great frown There are loads of their vans around my area and the exchange has just gone live. I look forward to re engineering my FTTC installation at the beginning of January.

Dave
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 15-Dec-13 18:07:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Cross your fingers it ain't a Kellys or MJ Quinns contractor then wink

I was ready for my Kellys man. Did everything myself in advance, all he had to do was hand me the modem to plug into my pre-configured router.
  Print Thread

Jump to