User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Dec-13 17:34:36
Print Post

BT email requires password at every login

[link to this post]

A friend is getting fed up with having to enter his password every time he goes to his BT email. It seems from this undated page that's the way it is, and says
At the moment, it's not possible for BT.com to 'remember' your email log in details. This means that every time you want to access your email, you'll need to log in with your username and password. We recognise that this is causing problems for some customers, but please bear with us. Our technical teams are working hard on a solution and we hope to implement this feature very soon.

We appreciate your patience and understanding while we work through this transition period.
Is this actually still the case, or is my friend doing something wrong?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User fernandez
(committed) Wed 18-Dec-13 22:28:23
Print Post

Re: BT email requires password at every login

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

To overcome the problem in the meantime use a password manager such as LastPass and set it to auto login
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Thu 19-Dec-13 10:30:08
Print Post

Another alternative if he is using a computer.

Why not suggest he uses an email program, like Thunderbird and then set the BT Email to IMAP, he could then be able to get all his email automatically when it arrives, instead of using the web interface.

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Dec-13 16:40:56
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

Why he he have to change from what he's done for ages just because of BT's inability to implement a user friendly login page?

He can't be the only one who's affected.

Tony
(committed) Thu 19-Dec-13 17:05:41
Print Post

A lot of websites make you log in every time, that's part of the security.

Which browser is he using - does he save his passwords in the browser, if so is he selecting the remember me button/tick box.

Also maybe the browser is unable to update the new log in because the old one is still there and causing a conflict.

There are numerous reasons, and not everyone uses a browser to log in to their email.

Someone else mentioned using Lastpass (a password manager) and that's why I posted my alternative as well, they are suggestions, you don't have to use them.

and YES he could be the only one affected as others may be using other means to log in

Bob WRBRIX
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Dec-13 17:28:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by The_Voyager:
Which browser is he using - does he save his passwords in the browser, if so is he selecting the remember me button/tick box.

I find that IE11 stores the BT email password but Chrome doesn't. That kind of thing seems to vary between browsers.

Oliver.
(committed) Thu 19-Dec-13 17:47:21
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

One of the reasons I use a Password Manager, I'm in the middle of changing over from Roboform to Lastpass (latter cheaper per annum) smile

Bob WRBRIX
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Dec-13 19:44:56
Print Post

He uses IE - latest version for his Windows version (I can't recall which that is at the moment). HI repeat that he hasn't changed anything since it all worked with BT's previous email setup. I accept it may be a log/cache problem. I won't see him until sometime in January so can't check any of these things at the moment.

Certainly he would have checked the 'remember me' box - if there was one; it remembers his username but not his password. That is a problem clearly known about by BT, see the OP link. And they admit that they're (supposed to be) working on it.

Tony
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Thu 19-Dec-13 19:53:41
Print Post

Why not just use Windows Live Mail ? It's a piece of cake to set up, and one can export emails to a file and re-import them if you re-install Windows or get a new PC. I've never used the 'official' BT email page.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Dec-13 21:24:45
Print Post

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

Windows Live Mail (I think it's now Outlook?) is a dreadful presentation onscreen and multiple mail addresses and aliases very difficult to get into any usable format.

That's about the one good thing about Thunderbird. Dead easy, in old Outlook/Outlook Express layout. Which is why I use it. Though I find TB getting less and less friendly month by month.

The "Search" function is atrocious.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to