User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Dec-13 21:51:29
Print Post

Re: BT email requires password at every login

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Windows Live Mail (I think it's now Outlook?)

Nope, Windows Live Mail is the free client aimed at consumers, Outlook is the paid client aimed at corporate.

There's also the Windows 8 Mail client app.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Thu 19-Dec-13 21:52:16)

Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Thu 19-Dec-13 21:58:15
Print Post

Not sure which one you are thinking of but Windows Live Mail pretty much IS Outlook Express, just with added functionality. There's a huge range of options for changing the appearance.

Whenever I reinstall Windows and set up Windows Live Mail, it automatically imports all my BT emails that I have not deleted off the BT email site. Which is pretty much all of them as I never go there.

Setting up Windows Live Mail is easy, just enter your email address, the name you want to be referred as, and ( if it asks ) you enter mail.btintenet.com as the email server.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Dec-13 22:21:54
Print Post

Windows Live Mail (I think it's now Outlook?) is a dreadful presentation onscreen and multiple mail addresses and aliases very difficult to get into any usable format.
WLM is more or less identical to OE, particularly in its GUI and functionality, and mostly differs in its message store layout. It's dead easy to handle multiple mail addresses.

It's not that diff from TB in its functionality and layout. In fact, most email clients are much the same as each other, as they cannot fail to be by having to present a local GUI to POP3, IMAP and sometimes MAPI protocols.

WLM is not and never was Outlook which used to be part of paid-for Office and now is sold free-standing.

Like others here I would never use webmail to access any mailbox if I can use an email client instead. It is far quicker, requires no login (if you wish), no adverts, and a far neater presentation which is the same whichever webmail you are looking at.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 19-Dec-13 22:29:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Dec-13 22:28:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Windows Live Mail (I think it's now Outlook?) is a dreadful presentation onscreen and multiple mail addresses and aliases very difficult to get into any usable format.
WLM is more or less identical to OE, particularly in its GUI and functionality, and mostly differs in its message store layout. It's dead easy to handle multiple mail addresses.

Yep. Quick Views can be used in WLM to replicate the "all in one" folder structure of OE, and all the other folders can be collapsed.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Dec-13 23:49:26
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Uh uh! I'm not having this guff about Outlook. I believe you are all talking about the past.

Nor do I accept that Live Mail in the slightest resembles OE and the original Outlook in its layout.

The folder screen display wastes so much space it is unbelievable, and the menus may be now Microsoft ribbon-compatible but are far from intuitive for email.

Any new menu system can be learnt, however messy it is, but that isn't the point.

I have six (real) email addresses spanning four domains, with 5-16 folders and subfolders within each. Seeing if any important folder has received a new mail is a doddle, without needing to click on any of its parent folders. On a 15" laptop screen.

Compare with this page with its non-usable space. A comparison of the URL and he heading is interesting tongue.

Ooooo! Look!

Anyway, just taken a break from the Christmas Card list and must return to it if I'm going to complete during tomorrow.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Dec-13 00:10:30
Print Post

Ooooo! Look!

That's a link to a webmail interface, everyone else was talking about email clients.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Dec-13 00:42:22
Print Post

We are talking at X-purposes, not helped by M'Soft nomenclature.

That is not WLM; that is Outlook.com, M'Soft's Webmail that used to be Hotmail. Not to be confused (except by M'Soft) with Outlook 2013, a paid PC email client.

WLM is a free PC email client that can be found here: Windows Live Mail 2011.

You are effectively confusing the OP by implying he use one webmail instead of another, which will not work as they each address diff mailboxes.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Dec-13 01:51:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
We are talking at X-purposes
Indeed we are.
not helped by M'Soft nomenclature.
I heartily concur, but it is further confused by posters using older/supeceded Microsoft nomenclature.
That is not WLM; that is Outlook.com, M'Soft's Webmail that used to be Hotmail. Not to be confused (except by M'Soft) with Outlook 2013, a paid PC email client.
Yes smile, I know. That's exactly where others have confused the issue, not me.

Note my initial exact words - "Windows Live Mail (I think it's now Outlook?)". The first rebuttal came from Oliver, where he used the term Outlook when what was needed was a reference to Outlook 2013, that being the latest incarnation of the original Outlook that predated Outlook Express. As we have said - MS's fault, but when arguing detail, omitting detail matters. As you have picked up.
WLM is a free PC email client that can be found here: Windows Live Mail 2011.
Yes, and many other places. It is in Microsoft Store in Win 8 for those who can't live with the Metro Windows Mail app. As Oliver did point out in his initial rebuttal.

I have set up WLM for several non-geeks who just want to use what is on their new computer. I maintain that it is a poor program for anything except elementary use. The various screen layout options I have tried, for weeks on my own behalf when OE disappeared, and for friends on request, all show some or other significant drawback, with the default usually being the best compromise.

But a compromise it is.
You are effectively confusing the OP by implying he use one webmail instead of another
Where did you get that from? Certainly not "Windows Live Mail (I think it's now Outlook?) is a dreadful presentation onscreen and multiple mail addresses and aliases very difficult to get into any usable format.

That's about the one good thing about Thunderbird. Dead easy, in old Outlook/Outlook Express layout. Which is why I use it."
... which will not work as they each address diff mailboxes.
[baffled] - but that's a complete side issue from the thread itself.

There are two legitimate discussions in this thread. First how to get the OP's friend's webmail to work in a more user-friendly way, and second whether he would be better using Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird instead of webmail. I joined in the second of those, with a "queried at the time" doubt as to whether WLM was still called that. The thread since then is best forgotten by all of us.

The two main questions remain.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 20-Dec-13 01:52:18)

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 20-Dec-13 07:27:48
Print Post

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

as someone who works in internet security I consider it false security.

Its only potentially helpful if its a shared device and on top of that also a shared OS account.

Sadly this kind of rubbish is spreading like a plague, forums that auto log people out every few days, sites that refuse to cache passwords, site that refuse to even cache usernames, its getting ridicolous. Blizzard forces a new login every time ip changes. frown

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Edited by Chrysalis (Fri 20-Dec-13 07:28:17)

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 07:42:01
Print Post

There are two legitimate discussions in this thread. First how to get the OP's friend's webmail to work in a more user-friendly way, and second whether he would be better using Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird instead of webmail. I joined in the second of those, with a "queried at the time" doubt as to whether WLM was still called that. The thread since then is best forgotten by all of us.

The two main questions remain.
Thank you Robert, you are correct. The thread has largely ignored the point of the OP but gone off into blue sky suggestions what others would do.

I repeat the point - that no one has answered
In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Is this actually still the case, or is my friend doing something wrong?
The fact that my friend is using web mail, and has used web mail ever since he's had email, means he is very unlikely to change to using an email client; he prefers, quite understandably, to continue to use email in the way he has always done so. He's completely non-technical so cannot see the need for change. BT have in essence in the OP linked quote admitted that they haven't yet implemented, or fixed, the password remembering part of the login, so why should a user change. It all sounds like a rushed and incomplete implementation, all too common in modern life.

And he can continue to use email that way. The point of the question, lost in the email client arguments, is all about, and (I thought) only about, the issue of a non-remembered password at login time.

No one has answered whether this is still the case - and thus somehow my friend has somehow done something wrong.

Only one poster has suggested there may be an issue with the new login causing a clash with the old one, and I've said I'll look at that when I see him next month.

Passwords managers, email clients, etc. are all irrelevant, IMO, to the original question.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to