User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-13 15:40:17
Print Post

Who is responsible?

[link to this post]

As far as I know, BT are responsible for repairs to the telephone line from the master socket on wards to the exchange. And the in-house wiring is the home owner's responsibility.

Am I correct? Or has something changed?

My mothers internet connection has gone to pot.

Line stats when all was fine:

snr down 6
Attenuation down 12
Connection up/down 448/8128

Now:

snr down 6
Attenuation down 38
Connection up/down 220/3740

I connected her home hub directly to her master socket to bypass the internal extension and the stats where the same.

BT Told her on the phone that if there is a problem with the line between the pole and her house that she would have to pay a fee of something like £120.

I call BS.

I have a telephone number for High level Complaints and I'm tempted to ring them instead of the usual script monkeys.

Thoughts?

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

Connection Speed 24575 Kbps 1019 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 5.5 dB
Noise Margin 1.2 dB 11.8 dB

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Other ISP's used over the years: AOL Supanet Pipex Tiscali Eclipse Zen
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 28-Dec-13 15:53:48
Print Post

Re: Who is responsible?

[re: Seansmit17] [link to this post]

I certainly thought that BT (specifically BT Openreach) were responsible for everything up to the master socket, and were obliged to make appropriate repairs free (as rather as part of the telephone contract). The charge would only apply if they were called out and found the issue was with your internal wiring. However, if you still have broadband and the phone works correctly, they are not obliged to do work to bring the broadband quality up to where it may have been in the past.

I too would be interested to know if the rules have changed. It is very poor if they try to evade their responsibility by pretending not to be responsible when in fact they are.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-13 16:02:47
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Just talking to an online help at BT.com and was told this:

"I can see there is a fault on your line. There is no charge for us to fix this unless the engineer finds our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp. In these instances, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill. Shall I go ahead and book an engineer?" "

Not sure how true that actually is.

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-13 16:04:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Seansmit17:
"I can see there is a fault on your line. There is no charge for us to fix this unless the engineer finds our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp. In these instances, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill. Shall I go ahead and book an engineer?" "

Not sure how true that actually is.

Can't see how it would be fair for them to charge you for the effects of "corrosion or damp".

Oliver.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-13 16:13:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Thats what I thought.

If we had damaged it or a tree on our land had damaged the line then fair enough.. but general ware and tear.. nope

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 28-Dec-13 17:16:44
Print Post

Damp/ corrosion would apply within the property up to the demarcation point, specifically the NTE and any block terminals within.
Damage to line plant within the property boundary is also chargeable.
Standard User Seansmit17
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-13 17:43:55
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

So if the line was lets say, corroded somewhere from where the line enters the house but between the pole, BT are responsible for repairs?

TalkTalk 24Mb
Current Line Status

BT 8Mb
Virgin 50Mb
BT 7Mb

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:04:21
Print Post

Correction. Openreach are responsilbe for the repair.. No charge would be due as long as there is no damage within the property curtilage

Edited by Ribble (Sat 28-Dec-13 18:32:01)

Standard User KelvinBridge
(learned) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:15:15
Print Post

As far as I know, BT are responsible for repairs to the telephone line from the master socket on wards to the exchange. And the in-house wiring is the home owner's responsibility.

snr down 6
Attenuation down 12

Now:

snr down 6
Attenuation down 38

I connected her home hub directly to her master socket to bypass the internal extension and the stats where the same.

BT Told her on the phone that if there is a problem with the line between the pole and her house that she would have to pay a fee of something like £120.

I call BS.

I have a telephone number for High level Complaints and I'm tempted to ring them instead of the usual script monkeys.

Thoughts?

Who is the provider of her internet service, as BT may be responsible for the Telephone line service , but NOT for her Broadband service, have you tried a Quiet line test by ringing 17070 BT Line test Facility option 2, the line should be silent, using a corded phone plugged into the master socket !!
Standard User KelvinBridge
(learned) Sat 28-Dec-13 18:19:43
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KelvinBridge:

snr down 6
Attenuation down 12

Now:

snr down 6
Attenuation down 38

I call BS.

Thoughts?

Who is the provider of her internet service, as BT may be responsible for the Telephone line service , but NOT for her Broadband service, have you tried a Quiet line test by ringing 17070 BT Line test Facility option 2, the line should be silent, using a corded phone plugged into the master socket !!

Ps ..Might I suggest this excellent site for Help, as well as the tbb forums

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/high_snrm-margin.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to