User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Thu 16-Jan-14 11:07:43
Print Post

Odd cab arrangement.

[link to this post]

I'm due to get BT infinity 1 unlimited and BT TV at the end of the month, I'm currently on Sky LLU, broadband, phone calls and line rental.

I'm connected to cab 57, which is some 550 metres away, down the road, turn left. There is no fibre cabinet on this road at all. Cab 57 serves ~60% of our postcode.

Cab 24 which is some 800 metres away, down the road, turn right. This does have a fibre cab next to it. Cab 24 serves ~40% of our postcode.

The distance between the two cabs is roughly 450 metres.

I'm puzzled as to how I will be connected up, given the cab I'm connected to does not have a fibre cabinet smile

FTTC range A [clean] high - downstream 33 / low - downstream 23.7 / up high - 7.6 / up low 6.1

FTTC range A [impacted] high - downstream 26 / low - downstream 13.1 / up high - 7.1 / up low 4.1
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Jan-14 11:38:47
Print Post

Re: Odd cab arrangement.

[re: BeachBoy] [link to this post]

How do you know you are connected to cab 57? Those estimates look much more like 800m than 550m. Is 57 what the checker you used says? Did you use the postcode option, or the full address option? The postcode one is useless when it is served by more than one cab.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Thu 16-Jan-14 11:46:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi, the checker says 57, also a BT engineer told me last time I had a repair. I used the full address checker.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Jan-14 11:55:08
Print Post

In that case it looks as though the FTTC cabinet for cab 57 may be further away from it than normal. It can be up to 100 cable metres, so could be in lots of places. Normally it is within 50 metres, and even then can be hard to find. Some have been reported as being the other side of walls.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Jan-14 11:55:08
Print Post

Re: Odd cab arrangement. *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Thu 16-Jan-14 12:04:32
Print Post

Interesting, thank you. I guess I'll find out for certain on the day.

Edit: I just checked an address opposite cab 57 and it says 80Mb... so that would rule out cab 24 I guess, intruiging smile fibre cab must be well hidden.

Edited by BeachBoy (Thu 16-Jan-14 12:39:50)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Jan-14 14:18:22
Print Post

Good thinking smile. It's there somewhere, but the cable distance between you and it looks horrible. Unless perhaps you have aluminium between you and the phone cabinet. What do your ADSLx line stats look like?

Standard User BeachBoy
(experienced) Thu 16-Jan-14 16:06:45
Print Post

I definitely do have aluminium in my line. adsl2 stats are 47dB attenuation 5023 sync 6dB margin.
My line has always been a bit underperforming, did sync for a brief time at over 7 Mb but that was a long time ago.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 16-Jan-14 16:24:09
Print Post

Right frown. That explains the low VDSL2 estimate then. Still a lot better than you have now.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 16-Jan-14 16:24:40)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jan-14 19:11:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by BeachBoy:
I'm puzzled as to how I will be connected up, given the cab I'm connected to does not have a fibre cabinet smile

It could be in a neighbouring road, mine is.

e.g. this link to Google Maps street view - this is my normal cabinet (PCP) to the left of the picture, and you can see the FTTC cab round the corner and on the other side of the neighbouring road. (In this case you can see round the corner!)

http://goo.gl/maps/HVqGE

(Usefully Google went past about a week after the FTTC cab was stood, early August 2012).

Edit - better URL

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Thu 16-Jan-14 19:12:59)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to