User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kmaryj
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:15:40
Print Post

Optimisation of a very slow BT connection - advise please

[link to this post]

Hi,

Had broadband for years but never got into the techy side of it, until recently when my connection became so slow, it's barely usable.

I've run both the BTW speed test and the one from this site and they both come up with .13Mbps. BT say they are pushing 1Mbps, but say the difference is due to me being at the end of a long line.

I was with Orange previously but had lots of lengthy drop-off so decided to switch, although when it did work it was much faster than the .13Mbps that I now receive.

Would anyone have any recommendations as to the best modem to use to optimise the little I am getting. At present I am using the BT hub with a separate NetGear router (due to wanting to use devices in the bedrooms and the BT hub wasn't quite up to it)

Thanks,

kmaryj.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:32:49
Print Post

Re: Optimisation of a very slow BT connection - advise pleas

[re: kmaryj] [link to this post]

What estimate is given for your phone number by www.dslchecker.bt.com ?

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:46:46
Print Post

Are you able to obtain the line stats (connection/bandwidth; attenuation; noise margin/SNR), from the one acting as the modem please? Is that the BT Hub in bridged mode or are both acting as routers?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kmaryj
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 17:51:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange HATHERLEIGH is served by Cabinet 1
Featured Products

DownstreamRate(Mbps)UpstreamRate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available

So what's the difference between the 'rate' and the 'range'?
Standard User kmaryj
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 18:06:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

here is the stats from this site's speed test:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

How do I get the other stats you requested?

Also I think we are using the hub in bridged mode as we're all connected via the NetGear router.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sat 18-Jan-14 18:30:56
Print Post

Mary

You are in a lovely location, but a long way from anywhere including the exchange in Hatherleigh.

You have my sympathy about the awful speed and I hope that DBUK money finds some way of improving it, looks like you area will be a long way down the list even though they have just enabled the exchange for FTTC.

Do you know if cab 1 is in Hatherleigh or somewhere else like Inwardleigh?

If you have any extensions you need to disconnect them and test again in an attempt to remove any internal interfereance.

Internal wiring may make a difference especially where 0.5Mb is a big improvement.
If you are the farm you may have extensions in other buildings that damp also effects at this time of year.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Jan-14 18:55:26
Print Post

You may not be able to get the stats I asked for easily, without connecting using the HH in modem/router mode. The thing is, they tell us in detail what speed it is possible to get on your line by optimisation smile. As opposed to the best you have ever seen. (They may be the same, but unlikely).

What Netgear router is it please? That may help.

For now, also have a read of these two pages, and see if anything applies:-

Ring/bell wire. This can make a huge difference, but remember it is the master socket to look at, not an extension if that's where you are connecting.

Miscellaneous nasties.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kmaryj
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 18:56:08
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is a beautiful area of the country.. smile

As far as I know cab 1 is in Hatherleigh, as we have been told we are 6 miles from the exchange, and Hatherleigh is 6 miles from us.. am I putting 2 and 2 together to make 6?

There is only one other BT installed extension, which is never used, and at present we are connected via the test socket, as this is what BT have suggested..
Standard User kmaryj
(newbie) Sat 18-Jan-14 19:32:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

NetGear N+, is what it says on the box.

I've just run the more detailed diagnostics in the BTW page:

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
0.14 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.14 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :0.16 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.22 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

which has made me even more unhappy... range of 0.05 - .25... I'm sure I got better than that back in the days of dial-up!!

Are you saying that if I take the router out I can get detailed stats from the BT Homehub?
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 18-Jan-14 19:35:23
Print Post

Evening Mary

You should first do a Quiet Line Test.

Connect your simplest phone with an ADSL?PHONE Splitter, in to the Test Socket.

Ring 17070 which normally will connect you to a Test facility.

Listen carefully to the Options.

It will normally be to "Press 2" in BT lines; or "Press 4" on SKY (Broadband Provider) lines.

The line should be "quiet".

There may be a very quiet hum, which normally can be ignored.

If you hear significant noises of the "snap, crackle and pop" variety etc, report this to yout PHONE SERVICE Provider as a PHONE PROBLEM, avoid mentioning Broadband.

==============

If the line sounds fine from the Test Socket, remove the Phone and Splitter; and restore the connections in to your house.

Then try the same test from your local socket.

If you now hear significant noises, the source lies within your property in your house wiring; and it is your responsibility to sort it.

The source may be something directly connected to the phone wiring; or something near the phone wiring such as a plasma TV set, micro-wave oven etc.

With the latter type of item, try switching ON then OFF.

====================================

However, from your description of your location, it seems likely that it is outside.

With the recent bad weather, think of how it has affected fence wiring etc around you; then look at the fragility of the phone wiring, strung several feet up in the air, whipping about, with (acid) rain getting in to nooks and crannies, causing corrosion.

===================================

If the wiring is causing the problem/s, inside or out, then it does not matter what super-duper modem/router you have, it will still not perform to its best ability.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to