User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 18:35:35
Print Post

Infinity install today but HH4 delivered and ECI modem ?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My parents had their Infinity install today, and yesterday the postman arrived with the homehub, but instead of the version 5 and the (paid for!!) 802.11ac USB adaptor, the package contained a homehub 4.

The installer today was from Kelly's and would have had no problem (single master socket in the right location) and fitted an ECI modem, connected the HH4 and everything is working. However the cabinet is a big Huawei one.

I suspect a complaint needs to be made to get the money back for the 802.11ac USB adaptor (£20!) but strange to get a HH4 now.

Would it be worth (performance wise) to get a Huawei HG612 modem instead of the ECI ? Given they're supposed to be on max sync? (getting about 72megabit/sec downloads, and 18 uploads right now).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 18:47:41
Print Post

Re: Infinity install today but HH4 delivered and ECI modem ?

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I reckon you've got a case for what was ordered not being supplied.
As for the modem, it's get what you are given, I'm afraid.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Jan-14 18:54:49
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

You need to check what was actually ordered, they have been switching over to the HH5 in stages was not standard on all the infinity packages for new orders until a week or so ago

On the modem, both should be fine, which works best for the line is done to experiment, and the order will never have specified the model of the modem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Jan-14 19:13:09
Print Post

Run the BT Wholesale speed test there and then the Further Diagnostics. Divide the IP Profile by 0.9679 and you get the sync within a few kbps.

At least that will tell you more than download speed tests do smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:18:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I reckon you've got a case for what was ordered not being supplied.
As for the modem, it's get what you are given, I'm afraid.

Thought as much, thanks - told them to get in touch with customer care and ask for their £19 back.

The HH4 is working fine, they love the speeds, and its a massive upgrade, from about 8megabit to 70megabit, lucky sods smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:19:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You need to check what was actually ordered, they have been switching over to the HH5 in stages was not standard on all the infinity packages for new orders until a week or so ago

It was ordered new years day, and definitely said HH5 as it was the AC one, and thus why they were offered an AC USB dongle.

On the modem, both should be fine, which works best for the line is done to experiment, and the order will never have specified the model of the modem.

Ok, that sounds good - would like to swap for a hacked HG612 smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:19:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Run the BT Wholesale speed test there and then the Further Diagnostics. Divide the IP Profile by 0.9679 and you get the sync within a few kbps.
At least that will tell you more than download speed tests do smile.

Nice - thanks!

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:25:21
Print Post

In which case chase them.

I do know some of the listing changes since I got back from New Year were to put HH5 onto more of the infinity products, but they have so many varied offers you may have been on a special deal page

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:28:24
Print Post

That sync calculation only applies to the downstream, by the way. Upstream IP Profile is always 2; 10; or 20 depending on the product.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 22-Jan-14 20:28:59)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
It was ordered new years day, and definitely said HH5 as it was the AC one, and thus why they were offered an AC USB dongle.
Do they have that in writing?

As the actually paid some money, a consideration, for the AC dongle which is appropriate for HH5 but useless for HH4, I reckon BT have breached contract and need to remedy their breach by replacing HH4 with HH5. For all you know AC dongle is in post.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to