User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 02:10:09
Print Post

BT Infinity Upload Speed Suddenly Very Slow

[link to this post]

Have enjoyed BT Infinity 2 for 6 weeks now with download speed of 76mbps and upload speed of 19mbps.

All of a sudden I notice the internet is much slower. But its not the download speed, which various tests say is still over 50mbps....but the upload speed which has suddenly fallen to 0.4mbps.

Have restarted the router several times and it makes no difference.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jan-14 09:09:18
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Upload Speed Suddenly Very Slow

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

You too? Mine went down to between 10-15% of its usual speed just after 1AM and just after 8 AM it went down even further, often dropping below 5% and is at about 7% at the moment. In fact, it has just started jumping between 0 and 500KB and it just jumped to 1.9 MBps (almost back to normal). Perhaps they are getting it fixed at last. Though it took me about twenty minutes back and forth at around 2AM before they finally admitted that it seemed that there was network fault somewhere.

Yay, looks as if it might be fixed at last as my upload speed is now jumping around close to its usual max +/- a 100 KBPs or so..

Between their useless CS and TS I have already had more problems in 6 months with BT than I had in about 6 years with BE.

P.S. when it went pear shaped their online wholesale speed test site was telling me that my upload speed was at 13 MBps (still only 60% or so of what it should be) but that was only true when connected to their speedtest. I.e. their test site is prioritised, for on other sites that could handle even faster upload speeds than I have at max I was getting between 200 and 400 KBps, like you were.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 24-Jan-14 10:01:05
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Are you seeing any packet loss?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator john
(founder) Fri 24-Jan-14 10:59:18
Print Post

Started around 0030 last night. We were advised that BT have fixed the issue and we noticed that around 0915ish.

Thanks,

John

John Hunt
Co-Founder,
thinkbroadband.com
john@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:13:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, I had let my ping test lapse and I was too busy to think about it at the time. I just switched over to my mobile to finish the backups I was doing. According to the BT CS person, she eventually admitted that the problem wasn't my end but that there was a network problem further down, as she put it. Which made sense, as their speed test appeared to be working relatively OK, for while it was low, about 60-65% of my usual upload speed, which is not that unusual for it, and showed relatively normal download speed, actual upload speeds to non BT sites was between 150 KBPs and 400 KBps. When I tested on your site just before 2 AM my download was close to normal but my upload was ~320 KBps with a burst speed of ~400 KBps. Or between 10 to 15% of my usual result.

As John posted just before this one, it came back at around 09:15, ironically just as I was replying to the OP.

Edited by jcym (Fri 24-Jan-14 13:14:08)

(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:25:07
Print Post

[re: john] [link to this post]

Yes, I just had a router restart and afterwards a speed test said 70.88mbps download and 18.77mbps upload....which seems back to normal.
Standard User noppix1
(learned) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:27:09
Print Post

I had the same problem but it seems to have gone back to normal now.
Just look at the BBQM. This is the very reason I left Virgin so I hope its a one off.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/52d6d687b03...
Standard User noppix1
(learned) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:33:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

There was packet loss for me
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/52d6d687b03...
(experienced) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:38:35
Print Post

[re: noppix1] [link to this post]

The thing I found strange, and what brought the issue to my attention, was that I was able to watch HD movies online no problem, but surfing through web sites was incredibly slow. Indeed it even took a long time to bring up the web page for the speed test here.
Standard User noppix1
(learned) Fri 24-Jan-14 13:58:53
Print Post

Web pages took forever for me as well. Was it only BT or was it all FTTC connections i wonder.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to