User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nickzzzzz
(newbie) Sun 26-Jan-14 14:53:06
Print Post

Numpty Question

[link to this post]

OK, so long story short, I had a BT engineer turn up on Friday evening to Install Infinity 1.
I have the Home Hub 5 (so believe there is an internal modem), but nevertheless was expecting something a bit different that what looks to be a normal double wall socket (over and under) where the the line comes into the house, and a nice long cable with a phone-style connector going into the "Broadband DSL" socket at the back of the HH5.

I was expecting some massive ethernet-style wire, going into the red "Broadband WAN" socket. Have I actually got fiber, or has he installed the wrong technology? I would try a speedtest, but the phones and broadband havent been working since he disappeared round the corner at 6pm on Friday - Engineer due tomorrow

I've had a search on t'interweb, but I'm now confused by the HH5 having internal modems, which may negate the need for one in a box on the wall. This has proven that in the world of broadband, I'm not nearly as technical as I thought

Many thanks for any input

Cheers
Nick
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:05:58
Print Post

Re: Numpty Question

[re: nickzzzzz] [link to this post]

but the phones and broadband havent been working since he disappeared round the corner at 6pm on Friday

Think it's probably something to do with this....
Standard User nickzzzzz
(newbie) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:11:16
Print Post

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

Oh, that's definitely why nothing works...I just wanted to find out if they had installed the correct option (fiber not DSL), and was hoping someone might know by the connection coming into the back of the HH5
Cheers

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:25:40
Print Post

Infinity 1 is now supposedly self-install like ADSLx. It's surprising you even got an engineer visit, though some areas Openreach may still be sending them.

The box you refer to is the Openreach modem, which would connect to the HH WAN port via a bog standard short Ethernet cable. For the last month or so Infinity customers have not been supplied with the Openreach modem, the internal modem of the HH5 being used instead.

So what you see is fine. The fact it doesn't work is not. Did he test the HH5? Was he from Openreach, or one of Kelly's or Quinn's?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User nickzzzzz
(newbie) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:52:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks - that side of things is reassuring, anyway.

We did test it while he was here and BB, and phones were fine. Few mins after he left I noticed that the BB light had switched from reassuring blue to orange. I checked the phones and they now didnt work either.
On phoning the BT helpdesk on Saturday, they said to take the faceplate off the new main switch, and test in the main switch. So I took the faceplate off, and still nothing. What I didnt realise was that there is a double fascia, and although taking the first off meant that the next socket down didnt work, if I pulled harder, then an extra layer of faceplate came off, and another socket was revealed underneath...from this I have a dial tone.
Thus there is, at minimum, a problem is with the new socket that the engineer fitted on Friday, and hopefully matey due to turn up tomorrow will be able to sort that out.

I just wanted to check on the wall modem/internal modem as I didnt expect the ordinary fault engineer to carry any extra modem-style kit with him.
No idea where they were from, he parked round the corner, and I never saw any paperwork...although the cable reel he left was BT branded, so maybe he was Openreach

Thanks again
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:42:21
Print Post

If you mean it comes apart like shown at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Then you have VDSL2 and when taken apart to the extent shown in http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/images/test-s... if you use a microfilter you can see if the modem connects or not.

The on the wall modem is what they usually install for an engineer based solution.

If you really had a full fibre based connection the faceplate would like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/guides/fibre/ft... (small switch at the top to route the voice circuit)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nickzzzzz
(newbie) Sun 26-Jan-14 17:30:32
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,
Definitely no switch on the top to differentiate FIBRE / COPPER, but it does look like that switch

I've dug out a filter, connected everything up, and everything is working now - many thanks

However I just ran a few speed tests, and my download speed was between 5 and 32Mb/s, which is ten time more than my old BB, so I'm guessing it must be a fibre connection, just going through the normal initial optimisation process

Cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 18:46:19
Print Post

So it looks like the other one tongue. Like mine, shown assembled on this page. You might find the whole page helps a bit as well smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Jan-14 18:46:54)

Print Thread

Jump to