User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ess1
(regular) Thu 30-Jan-14 11:38:53
Print Post

Proposed Instal

[link to this post]

Chatted with BT rep (using browser).

Was informed that there was only the 14 days statutory right if I was not satisfied with service. Signing up for an 18 months contract under these circumstances not for me if this is correct.

VM, my present ISP, offers 30 days no quibble.
Standard User robertcrowther
(member) Thu 30-Jan-14 13:08:46
Print Post

Re: Proposed Instal

[re: ess1] [link to this post]

Are you expecting anything to go wrong or not be satisfied?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jan-14 13:20:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by ess1:
Was informed that there was only the 14 days statutory right if I was not satisfied with service.
Actually, for services it is only 7 working days statutory from signing up. Of course, BT can add non-statutory days, as VM has.

Was this post a propos nothing?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 30-Jan-14 13:21:16)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 13:57:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The 7 days is to do with cancelling the order. IIRC it isn't even that if processes that cost the supplier money have been put in motion during the seven days. It's unlikely, but possible, that an order on BT could be completed with seven days of order.

If BT are offering a 14-day escape, I expect that is in the T & Cs and applies from service commencement. A different issue completely.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jan-14 14:29:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Indeed! I was targeting the use of the word 'statutory'.

In fact, BT's T&Cs allow cancellation any time up to service start date. The 14 days seems to apply only to sub-standard 'Broadband Anywhere', whatever that is.
Broadband service terms (including BT Infinity)

Cancellation

12. You can cancel the service at any time up until the service start date, but you will have to pay our reasonable costs for any work that we have already started or completed in order to provide the service to you.

13. If you ordered the service at the same time as, and in order to receive the Broadband Anywhere service, you can also cancel the service without paying a charge for ending it early, anytime in the first 14 days after the Broadband Anywhere service is activated if you tell us that the quality of Broadband Anywhere service you are receiving is sub-standard and we agree that it is not possible for us to improve the quality of that service to an acceptable level.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 14:38:27
Print Post

Yes, I missed/discounted the word "statutory" in the original post, as probably garbage, but not in yours smile.

Maybe the Broadband Anywhere refers to the BT WiFi and Fon services.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Jan-14 14:39:31)

Standard User ess1
(regular) Thu 30-Jan-14 16:39:35
Print Post

[re: robertcrowther] [link to this post]

I do not know until I try service. BT's response to query re length of time is, in my opinion, not sufficient.

"as advertised" appears a get out clause. My satisfaction would not apply.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jan-14 16:59:30
Print Post

Then, getting away from irrelevent statutory rights, in the event that the line is unsatisfactory you are only covered by this:
14. The upload/download speeds that we quote when you order the service is an estimate only. Once your speeds have settled (usually 3 days after activation), if you are always getting speeds lower than the estimated range that we quoted, you can contact us any time within the first 3 months after you ordered the service and we will try to improve the speeds. If, despite any improvements we try to make, the speeds you get are less than the "minimum guaranteed access line speeds" for your service (go to www.bt.com/yourlinespeed for more details) you will be entitled to cancel the service without paying a charge for ending it early provided you have followed our instructions in trying to resolve the problem.
The moral is never listen to untrained sales staff on the phone when you can go straight to the horse's mouth on the Web.

Standard User ess1
(regular) Thu 30-Jan-14 17:58:37
Print Post

Thank you all very much for bearing with me.
BT Chat obviously sales orientated - nave me!
  Print Thread

Jump to