User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:09:14
Print Post

Whatís Support like these days?

[link to this post]

Iíve just discovered that FTTC became available from my BT cabinet in the last week or so. Speed and cost plus a few other factors suggest a possible change of ISP rather than an immediate my current provider.

I was a happy BT Broadband customer for more that three years. At least two line issues were fixed. Then Support was shunted offshore. Communication was so poor when trying to resolve a minor problem at the end of 2005 that I had to move on. Have things improved? My line rental and call tariff is still with BT so if Broadband support is any good they might suit my needs.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 04-Feb-14 12:22:58
Print Post

Re: Whatís Support like these days?

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Basic support is pretty useless for anything apart from the most standard issues (sometimes even then).

The forum mods usually get things sorted. However they have long queues (presumably because the rest of support is so useless), so normally pretty much a week turnaround even once you have attracted their attention.

General reliability is pretty good, so with luck you won't need them.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Tue 04-Feb-14 12:23:49)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Feb-14 12:41:12
Print Post

Based on other post, be aware if you use BT hardware they do not respond to ICMP/ping on the WAN interface.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 13:07:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that info smile
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Feb-14 13:08:55
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. It sounds very much as it was when I left...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Feb-14 18:53:19
Print Post

Take a look at Plusnet perhaps? You can keep your BT landline like I did if you wish. If you do keep it, it now costs £2.50pm more and there will be an FTTC setup charge that you evade by taking PN landline.

A static IP address is a one-off £5 so tbb BQM works if your router will respond to the pings. The 582n they supply does, but its wireless isn't brilliant.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 19:23:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

But replace the awful plusnet router.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User neo_wales14
(newbie) Tue 04-Feb-14 21:47:58
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Is this model router a common problem for them ? Or perhaps your mate just has one thats not working up to scratch?

All the best

Bob in Wales
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Feb-14 22:05:13
Print Post

[re: neo_wales14] [link to this post]

It's perfectly OK for the vast majority of their ~780,000 customers. Otherwise they wouldn't be supplying it.

The poster isn't even on landline broadband and hasn't been for a considerable period.

I joined Plusnet about two years ago, and already had a decent router. When that packed in I decided to give the Plusnet one a try.

After a while I began to doubt its wireless capabilities, which importantly is the only significant complaint about it, although it wasn't too bad for free. (Postage cost). I now have an ASUS which is quite good.

Don't forget that wireless LAN is very susceptible to surrounding ones.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Feb-14 23:20:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
After a while I began to doubt its wireless capabilities.

That was always a complaint about the Thomson/Technicolor routers on BE and O2. Good routers (not as many options as an ASUS or Draytek) but poor on WiFi.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to