User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 21:37:16
Print Post

Speed below predicted

[link to this post]

Hi,

Had BT Infinity 2 installed recently with a predicted downstream range of 79-80 Mb on the address checker with 19-20 Mb upstream. I thought this may not be perfectly accurate so I was expecting around 70 Mb.
After 4 days the checker now has the predictions for my phone line as shown below:

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 77 20 19.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 67.3 20 17.9 -- Available

My current speedtest speeds are around 52 Mb down and 13 up. Home Hub 5 stats currently show:
6. Data rate: 13496 / 56831
7. Maximum data rate: 15886 / 57015
8. Noise margin: 5.6 / 6.5
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 12.5
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 12.7

I know that the modem shouldn't be restarted at all in the first 10 days if possible but the engineer didn't make this clear to my brother who then restarted it once due to wifi issues on the first day. I wasn't in during the install so I am unsure of the initial speed and I am guessing this low speed is a case of DLM kicking in. Could there be anything else wrong with the install or anything I can do to or should I just leave the Home Hub alone for a few days and see if speeds improve. Also, because the modem was reset so early in the 10 day period how long can I expect to wait for the speeds to return to normal, if at all.

Another thing I noticed is that even after this restart the line still seemed to have no interleaving until today (uptime resets to 0 every night so I am assuming it is testing a new profile). I don't know much about this so I am just wondering if that also had anything to do with restarting it so early.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Feb-14 22:53:10
Print Post

Re: Speed below predicted

[re: bd10] [link to this post]

It may have been poorly installed, take a read through this thread, and try some of the steps the OP has, as in checking that removal of the NTE faceplate kills dial tone on ALL other points in the house.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Feb-14 01:36:09
Print Post

The 10 days if it applies to anything only applies to ADSLx. Unfortunately BT Wholesale themselves don't even seem to realise that. The system that depends on 10 days to set a particular pair of figures for the line isn't used on FTTC frown.

If the DLM has kicked in, it is because of considerable errors on the line. Your brother restarting the modem on the first day, as long as he didn't do it lots of times, will not have caused any problems. You do mean the modem I assume, not the Home Hub?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bd10
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 08:49:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just found out a few things yesterday:
-Install was done by Kelly's
-Home Hub was restarted a total of 3 times over the first 2 days, would this be enough to cause such a big speed drop?

Thanks for the help, are there any other steps I should take or just look through the linked thread and try everything first?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 09:59:16
Print Post

If the line was showing other errors then it may have...alas the DLM is not a beast of certainties.

Do the checks as suggested to ensure you have no other wiring connected.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 12:00:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In response to Roberto, by modem I mean the home hub 5, I was under the impression that because it now contains the modem a restart of the hub would include a restart of the modem?

Sorry, I am not very educated on the phone line/socket part of this so the instructions in that thread are not very clear to me. From what I can gather I am meant to:

-Power off hub
-Unscrew bottom part of faceplate
-Plug phone into any other sockets in the house and see if there is a dialling tone

Would this be correct?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:18:58
Print Post

Correct

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ shows how the faceplate comes apart

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bd10
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:59:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just carried out the steps and no dialling tones anywhere. I do however have a socket in my room which I decided I no longer needed and so the wire was cut somewhere in the middle. Could this have anything to do with it?

EDIT: Some extra info on wiring just incase:
Have 2 sockets by front door (one normal size, one smaller) and one in my room upstairs which were originally used for BT ADSL before I moved to Virgin. Moved router to first floor during this time so had new faceplate put on the first floor as well.

Edited by bd10 (Fri 14-Feb-14 15:35:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Feb-14 17:00:17
Print Post

If the Home Hub is connected directly to the VDSL socket then yes, you are using its built-in modem. Rebooting it will cause a disconnection and reconnection. I wouldn't expect three to cause any upset.

If there is a white box between the Home Hub and the VDSL socket, connected to the Home Hub WAN port then that white box is the modem and the built-in one is bypassed. Rebooting the Home Hub would cause your internet connection to be disconnected and reconnected, but would not cause the "VDSL2 broadband" connection to the cabinet to be disconnected. So in that case the DLM wouldn't know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 17:59:01
Print Post

If that wiring is still active when the faceplate has been removed, then those wires may be acting as a bridge tap and picking up interference.

Needs lots of photos to make that wiring clear, the sockets can all be correct but a split pair that would work but be more prone to pick up noise may be the issue.

Believe the full testing at install should pick that up.

Perfect world is the master socket and VDSL modem as close to the entry point on the property and minimal telephone wiring in the rest of the property.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to