User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 17-Feb-14 19:48:43
Print Post

Is this normal for connecting BT

[link to this post]

My dad was with Be (same as me) for his broadband and BT for his phone.

He has decided to go with BT broadband as he wants the sport,so hes opted for the 10gb upto standard bb package.

Tonight ive tried ringing him and its just ringing out,so i called his mobile,which he has informed me the line is down until his bb is connected on Thursday so BT have said,,is this normal?

I have mac'd in and out of different company's over the years and i've not been disconnected.

When he dials out he is hearing a msg that says check line or something,?? he is old and lives to far for me to get to him tonight.

just wondering if anyone has come across this.

thanks

Be Value 12mb was O2 Premium
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Feb-14 19:51:29
Print Post

Re: Is this normal for connecting BT

[re: craggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craggs:
just wondering if anyone has come across this.

No, I was with BE for internet and BT for phone, and my parents the same. We have both moved to BT for internet and phone, and nothing changed. He has a fault; separate to the broadband changeover.

Unless his voice services were not with BT.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:03:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply,

No his voice has always been with BT,I will report a fault on his line for him on BT's website.

I'm not sure who's he's spoken to at BT thats told him he will be connected thursday.It's difficult as he doesn't understand anything technical smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craggs
(committed) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:46:34
Print Post

Ok so I have rang me dad and got everthing out of him properly.

His connection day is not thursday for BT but its actually today 17th.and today his line has gone of.

When he rang BT they told him it'll be connected thursday,but they actually said the fault at the exchange will be fixed by then. (dad gets confused)

Seems odd,today his switch over from be to bt has happened,but his line has gone down also.

Either way,thanks for the help and hopefully he will be back on track.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:47:44
Print Post

Either way,thanks for the help and hopefully he will be back on track.

Sounds as if things should be okay. Hope all goes well smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Feb-14 21:39:59
Print Post

When he rang BT they told him it'll be connected thursday,but they actually said the fault at the exchange will be fixed by then. (dad gets confused)

Seems odd,today his switch over from be to bt has happened,but his line has gone down also.
When you have broadband, the line from you to the exchange ends up on the broadband DSLAM (or MSAN with BT Wholesale). The phone circuit at the exchange end is also brought to the DSLAM and the two are merged there.

With Be LLU his broadband and phone therefore went through the Be DSLAM, even though his line rental was with BT not Be. The migration to BT of the broadband meant that the line from him had to go to the BT Wholesale MSAN and the phone circuit at the exchange had to be re-routed to the same MSAN.

Somebody screwed up the connections, or it's a faulty line card.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 17-Feb-14 22:07:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You sure on that precise description? Where does the splitter at the exchange fit into this? On WLR + SMPF not had a lose of voice when moving broadband.

Likely someone has messed up some wiring, but description sounds wrong

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Feb-14 22:54:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm sure the voice and broadband are merged at the DSLAM. Therefore even on WLR + SMPF the consumer line has to move and the exchange voice supply has to move.

If you think about it, that is the methodology also adopted for FTTC, as they know all about it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Mon 17-Feb-14 22:55:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Andrew
The splitter is on the MSAN linecard, so if someone moves the pair from customer to exchange to a different MSAN the BB will work but the voice won't until they connect the split pair back to the correct Voice linecard. It sounds like they have moved the first part and not the second.

I have had faults where the BB worked fine but the voice was disconnected. Got annoyed when a engineer turned up at the house when it was clear the fault was at the exchange!

Routeing is customer to MDF to BB MSAN to MDF to Voice switch.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Feb-14 23:02:17
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

That's how I read it as well. Except in the case of the OP's Dad, nothing works.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to