User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vultura
(member) Mon 17-Feb-14 20:35:44
Print Post

Moved to another provider, but BT didn't cancel...

[link to this post]

Hello all.

Been a long time since I posted here last.

This might be a weird/strange/long post, do bear with me.

Had been with BT as a internet provider since the days of dial-up. Reasonably happy customer, else I wouldn't have stayed so long.

In spring 2011 I decided I'd like to upgrade the current fixed 2Mb adsl to a newer "up to 8Mb" service, but didn't fancy the BT 18 month contract, in case things didn't go so well (line length issues, etc etc) with the new service and if issues did arise having to contact BT support.

Looking around Plusnet got some decent reviews and the UK based call centre was a plus point. Contacted BT for a MAC and passed it to Plusnet. Migration went smoothly, service decent and few issues really. Have been with them since and even upgraded to Fibre in 2012.

Now the reason for this post. A letter arrived in late Dec 2013 from BT headed your final bill and mentioning an amount of credit (less than £10). At the right hand side it says "Sorry you're leaving BT" and at the top states the bill is for "BT BB Option 3".

Probably partially my fault for not paying enough attention, but BT have taken a DD every month since I moved to Plusnet.

Gave BT a call today, first person I spoke to wasn't in billing, but was in UK. However couldn't deal with the issue and so passed me across to billing. 15 minutes of being on hold I get through. Sadly unable to get the CS rep to understand what the problem really was. Weirdly though, according to his screen my service was cancelled on the 16th Dec 2013. I certainly haven't contacted them in December, so cannot understand why the account has now been ceased after all this time.

So, what is the best way to resolve this and do I get any of the money back for an unused service?

Thanks for reading

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Feb-14 00:19:24
Print Post

Re: Moved to another provider, but BT didn't cancel...

[re: vultura] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vultura:
Contacted BT for a MAC and passed it to Plusnet.
Sounds like you did not give them the required notice as per their T&Cs even tho' you asked for a MAC:
21. If you are switching to another provider through an approved process, the notice you must give us will be 14 days.
Using a MAC is not always the same as giving notice of termination.

All the same, it doesn't seem right that thay have taken money when they are aware you've left. All you can do is write to them explaining the situation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Tue 18-Feb-14 01:49:55
Print Post

One for MrSaffron I think,

I suspect your a victim of BT's sneaky automatic renew/revolving contracts from that time period.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Feb-14 02:12:36
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

I thought ofcom ruling auto-renewal is banned and not allow for all isp's.

plusnetFTTC72 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Tue 18-Feb-14 02:13:29)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 18-Feb-14 12:10:47
Print Post

It happens .. sometimes it is BT's fault and other times the customer's fault.

Firstly, get a statement from Plusnet that shows you have been using and paying them since the change. Then, write to BT formally giving your side of the story and attaching a copy of the statement from Plusnet. Give BT time to investigate and respond to you - don't expect it to take a few days though. If the address is not on the letter you received then you will need to speak with billing again and find the address for billing complaints - just don't go into detail with them

From almost every similar case I have heard of, it has been settled amicably and a refund received.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User vultura
(member) Thu 20-Feb-14 22:47:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks, will try that and see what happens.

Was: BTOW, 2Mb, Origo ASR-8400 Router, HG5
Standard User vultura
(member) Thu 20-Feb-14 22:49:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

To be honest I cannot recall with 100% certainty if I did or didn't ask for termination of service.

Standard User vultura
(committed) Thu 20-Feb-14 22:59:45
Print Post

Quick update: Had a call from a BT representative tonight. Line was very quiet and so difficult to understand, but it was stated multiple times that there was nothing anyone could do to resolve my issue, even if I wrote to them.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 20-Feb-14 23:01:45
Print Post

Don't accept that.

Follow it up formally in writing. Ask for a formal written response detailing their position and when they expect to refund you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Feb-14 23:11:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by vultura:
Quick update: Had a call from a BT representative tonight. Line was very quiet and so difficult to understand, but it was stated multiple times that there was nothing anyone could do to resolve my issue, even if I wrote to them.

MHC gives outstanding advice. The first line customer service are working within set parameters, but they can deviate. I am sure if you push further you will get a satisfactory resolution, if at any stage it seems like they are closing the matter down on the phone, ask for it to be escalated even higher.

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to