User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 08:47:48
Print Post

BT line fault

[link to this post]

During the recent winds, it transpired that the overhead line to my house was damaged where it passes through a tree. This tree is about 300 yards from my home but on my land since I live on a small farm.

When I reported the fault I was told that I would be charged £129.99 if the problem was "in my property", no mention of the line that passes over my land from the road. The phone bill arrives and of course, the charge.

We have had problems before of a similar nature and once the local farmer accidentally cut the line where it runs down the last pole on my land. In the past, these faults were repaired at no charge.

I phoned to complain at the charge based on the fact that I was not told that it would be incurred for a fault on the outside line over my land and that the engineer did not mention it would be chargeable when he located it. When I suggested that should it happen again I will replace the damaged line myself, I was advised that it would be "illegal". Engineers apparently are not allowed to discuss financial matters!

The tree was there when BT installed the line through it so where do I stand with this please? I trimmed the tree before the bill arrived, for my own sake!!

Andrew
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Feb-14 08:56:32
Print Post

Re: BT line fault

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Your tree or spade that damages line you pay.

Been that way for a while, may be able to dispute with retailer if you had said was likely a tree on your property before call out and they did not change standard wording.

Same system as the water companies use.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 09:46:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you Andrew frown

Re water; we had a burst a while back in the quarter mile of pipe from the meter to the house. Water bill, £2,400 !!!

Since it was our first burst since moving here they waived the charge smile Subsequent bursts are on us....

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Feb-14 10:39:16
Print Post

it should be the case that if the damage is obviously from the tree rubbing through the insulation, or for example tree laid on ground with telephone line under it that you would pay and for storm damage claim from house insurance.

For slow gradual damage, down to you to trim back trees.

You could provide a suitable location for an NTE5 on the very edge of the property boundary and then be responsible for running wire to your building.

Not good news I am afraid, there may be room for negotiation like you managed with the water people, but depends on if you feel lucky today

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 16:33:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I had thought of digging a trench last time this happened but 400 yards is a long way, uphill too wink

Andrew
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 16:35:10
Print Post

Start at the other end, then it's downhill... wink

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Feb-14 16:47:31
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Which is fine, so long as you know where the other end is tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 17:03:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If you know how far it is then the location of the other end is surely defined...

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Feb-14 17:21:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oh ha bl**** ha wink

Chainsaw out tomorrow then. Only problem there, is it's an electric chainsaw, the nearest power point is 300 yards away and my extension lead is only 60 yards long...... tongue

Ironically the original line that served this property was just twin and with insulation as tough as old boots. I still have it, for "gardening purpose"!! We needed a second line so BT installed multi-core (through this same tree) that even the BT 'engineer' stated was inferior quality to the stuff he took down crazy

This extortionate bill of £129.99 refers to Engineer Home Improvement Service Charge. I didn't ask for improvement, I just asked for repair!

Just had a thought! If I got a length of plastic hose pipe, long enough to pass through this tree, cut a slit in its full length and slid it over the phone line in the appropriate position, would this fall foul of BT regulations? smile

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_W (Wed 26-Feb-14 17:26:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 26-Feb-14 17:35:05
Print Post

Ductin', innit?

Sounds like a plan, but you'd need to make sure the ends weren't going to chafe the covering just as badly. A bit of rotation and shiver, with the tree branches moving it, could have quite an effect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to