User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jazz0912
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 17:48:13
Print Post

BT infinity 2

[link to this post]

The link below is my BT infinity 2 fibre optic speed test they call this supper fast broadband, Ha, Ha, Ha, itís just like the advert ststststst stutter, I would like to know where he is going to go for his broadband.
BT says that I am connected at 64 Meg when I ring them?????? They also say they do not cap the line, so where is the rest of my speed??

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13937...
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:00:06
Print Post

Re: BT infinity 2

[re: jazz0912] [link to this post]

Are you using wireless?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:01:05
Print Post

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Are the tests wired or wireless ??

Dave

BT Infinity 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:17:09
Print Post

The full graph makes things clearer

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Your upload speeds suggest modem is probably connected at the speeds BT suggest. But you have a slow single thread and multiple threads speed it up, reasons for a this maybe

1. Congestion
2. Wrong RWIN value on the PC
3. Local Wireless issues

Have you checked using Ethernet cable direct into the router and also at quieter times of the day e.g. breakfast time

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jazz0912
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:29:20
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

No I am wired on the home hub 4, I have a Asus RT-AC66U router that I was using, they also tried to blame my Pc so I ran the test from my home server with same result just for them, they have also said itís because I use all the ports on the back of the router and also have ipads, 3 phones a laptop and my sons pc connected via Wi-Fi ???
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:34:06
Print Post

When running a speed test nothing else must be using the connection at all. Seeing as a lot of things tend to download updates or whatever when they are scheduled to, your sould disconnect anything that connects (wired or wireless) to the router while you run the test. And make sure you aren't doing anything on the testing machine.

What is your "Home server" and what is that doing while you speed test?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 02-Mar-14 18:34:28)

Standard User jazz0912
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:41:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have disconnected all cables and turned off the Wi-Fi and still got the same result also done the speed test from my laptop via all new cable??? in the week i get 63 to 60 meg download speeds and then at 4pm it drops, at midnight it will go back up to 63 meg but bt say they do not cap the speed?? Ha Ha Ha, at weekends its just slow cant even use catch up tv.

Edited by jazz0912 (Sun 02-Mar-14 19:00:13)

Standard User jazz0912
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 19:07:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

the Server and all other devises are disconnected and Wi-Fi is off when i run the just test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 19:21:11
Print Post

'it drops' as in the connection drops and reconnects and you get these slow speeds - in which case something electrical is being turned on and creating lots of interference (e.g. fluorescent lights, charger for mobile, plasma TV etc etc)

'it drops' as in once school children get home, may mean either

1. Someone is using connection a lot and you are not aware of it (the Asus with its traffic monitor option will show if that's the case)
2. There is congestion at the local exchange, and this is a real possibility

The BT Wholesale speed test with its further diagnostics is useful, as the IP profile will show if its a slow sync speed issue or a throughput issue. If throughput then switching provider might be an answer.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jazz0912
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 21:29:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The speed drop from 63 meg to under 5 meg after 4pm Mon to Fri and then goes back up to 63meg after midnight and then stays at a low speed all weekend, When I went back to Bt they said they had no restrictions but know seem to use traffic management it was one of their technical staff found it on their web page so I am trying to get them to let me out of the rest of the contract that ends in October this year so then I can move to a new service provider like I said when I went back to them they said they had no restrictions because I had a business account at the time as I told them I was a heavy user and when that contract ended I was going to move to Sky and thatís when they said that they had no restrictions on a normal home unlimited account and it was fine the speeds were great all day and at weekends but not now???
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to