User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Mar-14 22:42:03
Print Post

How long for SNRM to get back to normal?

[link to this post]

Hi,

Just had a VERY crackly line at work fixed on an ADSL 8Mb connection. The line was unusable at times even though it did test okay.

The D/L SNRM is still currently 25dB three days after the fix.

How long should it take for the DLM to start to reflect the improvement in the line or does it need to be reset manually?

TIA

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Mar-14 22:57:59
Print Post

Re: How long for SNRM to get back to normal?

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

25dB is a very strange value. It suggests you need to disconnect and reconnect, (preferably switch the router off for a couple of minutes or so), and see what the stats are then. It is unlikely to be above 15dB, so a much higher connection speed should be achieved.

Reductions in 3dB steps from 15dB take 10-14 days to take place via the system, giving up to 750kbps at each step. You may find it better to get an ISP reset (restarting the initial 10 days), if they understand what you are talking about.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Mar-14 19:30:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi,

I have placed a screenshot of the router stats page here http://www.mediafire.com/view/hzwoxecdxdz4cdf/SNRM.jpg.

We could be in trouble as the ISP is BT wink.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 18-Mar-14 20:38:36
Print Post

Looks like a 2-wire 2700/2701 hub in use!

Power the modem off - and then 30 seconds later disconnect the incoming cable.

Leave it off for 30 minutes - three is usually long enough but I have found the need to go up over 20 minutes.

Power up the hub and wait for 5 minutes - allow it to fully boot and settle.

Then reconnect the line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Mar-14 21:07:26
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Will give that a whirl tomorrow.

DrT

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Mar-14 13:31:48
Print Post

No joy I'm. afraid. SNRM still >25dB; currently 26.6.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Mar-14 13:38:05
Print Post

Line has had the downstream speed banded down to 0.5 Meg at a guess, needs the ISP to get the DLM system totally reset to allow everything to relearn and hopefully not band you again

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Mar-14 14:22:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Looks that way.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TheEulerID
(newbie) Wed 19-Mar-14 14:36:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, it happened to me. I had such a bad line, that the system locked the line down to a fixed speed sync (up and down). It didn't automatically correct, and I had to contact BT Retail to reset it. Strangely, they were only able to free up the download speed as, apparently, it required BT Wholesale to reset the upload. That was about 15 months ago, so things may have changed.

Of course, the biggest problem is getting past the call centre staff to the technical support staff who could fix it.

(In my case, the problem was made much worse as it was over a Christmas/New Year and required digging up the pavement to renew a Y joint. Back about 1970 when the house was built, the Post Office simply buried the joint in the ground and in 40+ years the waterproofing failed. This meant that there was around 2 weeks for the monitoring software to lock the profile into a place it never came back from).
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Mar-14 17:37:14
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Print Thread

Jump to