User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 20-Mar-14 09:07:10
Print Post

R.E.I.N (thanks to Mr Saffron for correcting me!)

[link to this post]

All

Has anyone had to have one of these done by BT and do you know how long it takes for one to be instigated?

I have been told it takes "some time" as REIN engineers seem to be few and far between, but am wondering how long?

Many thanks in advance

PS I am with PlusNet and have also posted there but have only duplicated as a generic question of OpenReach

Edited by ismoore999 (Thu 20-Mar-14 09:46:07)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Mar-14 09:26:53
Print Post

Re: R.A.I.N

[re: ismoore999] [link to this post]

REIN - Random Electrical Impulse Noise

How long is a piece of string? Alas with this sort of investigation it can be obvious within 30 seconds or might take weeks to find if their really is interference impacting.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 20-Mar-14 09:48:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you for that - it was the answer I most feared smile (grin and bear it)

Well it is consistent - starts around 17:10 every night and goes on until the morning.
Only affects fibre so I am hoping that narrows it down to about 400m!

I'll keep my fingers crossed it is short string....

Edited by ismoore999 (Thu 20-Mar-14 09:49:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User H10ELD
(newbie) Thu 20-Mar-14 10:01:55
Print Post

I agree with Andrerw, it can take months.
I started having REIN problems in September 2013 when new neighbours moved in next door.
Openreach have been investigated the problem since then and as it is random, but usually between 6 an 11pm. They have to have overtime authorisating to come out in the evening or weekend.
There seems to be only 2 engineers in the South West who specialize in REIN and a long wait for them is the norm.
I had a third visit this week from Openreach REIN "engineer" at 7pm and he said he had found the problem but was not at liberty to tell where and what it was, but it was not in my house. The main point is that they can ONLY ASK that the offending equipment is turned off, they do not authority to take action.
So it is a problem that may never be solved if the offending parry refuse to co-operate.
Standard User insider12
(newbie) Thu 20-Mar-14 10:37:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by ismoore999:
Thank you for that - it was the answer I most feared smile (grin and bear it)

Well it is consistent - starts around 17:10 every night and goes on until the morning.
Only affects fibre so I am hoping that narrows it down to about 400m!

I'll keep my fingers crossed it is short string....

REIN does not affect fibre, it only affects copper lines. The reason is thats its caused by electrical interferance that can scramble the bits on a copper line, however fibre using light and is unaffected by REIN. More than likely if your on FTTC, any potential issue is on the copper run from the PCP to your property, not between PCP (cab) and exchange.

All BT engineers are now REIN trained, in the past it used to be a nightmare to get a REIN engineer but BT OR now used dedicated REIN co-op teams that any SFI can call into.
Standard User ismoore999
(learned) Thu 20-Mar-14 10:40:36
Print Post

[re: H10ELD] [link to this post]

Hi
Thanks for that - this sounds pretty much like the same issue but luckily it starts earlier during working hours.

Question is, would Virgin Media cable be affected in a similar way if it was found to be localised? I assume that because it is Coax it is less suseptible to noise.

I am only asking becase this is an option for me.

The fibre connection does eventually calm down but usually when it is capped to around 15-20Mb

Decisions decisions. Any thougths grateful.... and disclaimers allowed smile
Standard User insider12
(newbie) Thu 20-Mar-14 10:47:32
Print Post

Hi
Thanks for that - this sounds pretty much like the same issue but luckily it starts earlier during working hours.

Question is, would Virgin Media cable be affected in a similar way if it was found to be localised? I assume that because it is Coax it is less suseptible to noise.

I am only asking becase this is an option for me.

The fibre connection does eventually calm down but usually when it is capped to around 15-20Mb

Decisions decisions. Any thougths grateful.... and disclaimers allowed smile

depends on the issue and where it is. REIN is caused by equipment having unusual electro magnetic fields which affect the tranmission of data on copper cable or directly on electrical equipment if within the offending field. If the source of the REIN is on your property and hitting the router directly it will affect any connection. However this is unlikely most commonly the sources are in the path from the local cab, usually offenders are items like CCTV monitors, Lamp posts with damaged circiutry, tube lighting, etc.

Easiest way is to test yourself, get a analogue radio and tune to 612Khz, if you move it near a object with emitting REIN, you will hear a loud static crackle. Easy to do in your home, not so much in someone elses smile

CCNA, CCNP, MTA.
Virgin Media 60Mbps
ISP networking and WiFi Engineer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Mar-14 11:11:11
Print Post

[re: insider12] [link to this post]

For a FTTC based service it may also be worth listening for pops and crackles in the 1 to 3 MHz region too

Switching the standard RJ11 lead for a twisted pair one might help reduce the pick of the noise. That is assuming the VDSL2 faceplate is wired in correctly and any chance of bridge taps have already been ruled out.

If it was my house, I'd be switching off everything I could to try and ensure it was not something in my own home too, i.e. flip the fuses for each circuit off and then hunt down the noisy kit with a radio.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 20-Mar-14 11:25:09
Print Post

Re: R.E.I.N (thanks to Mr Saffron for correcting me!)

PS I am with PlusNet and have also posted there but have only duplicated as a generic question of OpenReach

I hadn't seen this post before I pointed out your mistake on the PN forum wink
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 20-Mar-14 11:26:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
REIN - Random Electrical Impulse Noise

Not Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise? wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to