User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Mon 24-Mar-14 20:27:50
Print Post

BT Pricing Question

[link to this post]

I sign up for unlimited Broadband for 18 months, with 6 months free followed by 12 months at £16, 2 months into my paid period the price goes up to £17.03 a month,I called BT and said I thought I had a 18 month contract at an agreed price,they replied we can adjust the cost to what ever we want at anytime.
Yet on their website a new user can still sign up for the same deal I took out plus I received a letter today making me the same offer at the old price
Standard User fernandez
(committed) Mon 24-Mar-14 22:41:22
Print Post

Re: BT Pricing Question

[re: boranatty] [link to this post]

I signed up last April when the offer was half price for 12 months - £8/month instead of £16/month.
Then in January this year the £8/month was increased to £8.51/month
BT really are a law unto themselves and trying to get a sensible answer from Customer Support is a waste of time.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Mar-14 23:15:34
Print Post

BT can increase their prices at any time:
Changing the terms (notification)

51. Sometimes, we will need to change the charges or the terms and conditions of a service covered by this agreement. We will publish details of all changes online at www.bt.com.

52. We will also let you know about a price increase or a change to the terms and conditions that we believe is likely to cause you material disadvantage at least one month before it happens. We will do this in writing (which may include by letter, email, with your bill or by any other permitted method). We will let you know about other changes to prices and our terms and conditions with your next available bill or by an alternative method if this is simpler.
However they are supposed to notify you if the changes "materially disadvantage" you, which in the case of prices is usually taken as an increase above RPI. Your increase of about 6.4%, which is the same as your 1st replier, would seem higher than RPI, but it might depend on when they last increase prices.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Mar-14 23:52:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

However,I've just checked what the OP says, and there certainly appears to be the deal signed up to still at the original price. I don't see how a price increase mid-contract can therefore be justified. If the price had risen, it's arguable, but this case looks very iffy indeed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 24-Mar-14 23:54:20
Print Post

I tihnk you could complain to the ASA and your Trading Standards Officer about that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Mar-14 00:16:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

However, as you well know, offers to new custs are not necessarily applicable to existing custs.

The only thing I see iffy is the %age increase above RPI, unless they can show that this product price has remained unchanged for a no. of years, in which case they can conceivably sigma the RPIs over the period.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 25-Mar-14 00:29:59
Print Post

A customer who signed up to a deal that is still extent is not the same thing as an existing customer seeing a deal they would have liked. BT seem to have reneged on the contract.

Standard User fernandez
(committed) Tue 25-Mar-14 11:03:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
BT can increase their prices at any time:
Changing the terms (notification)

51. Sometimes, we will need to change the charges or the terms and conditions of a service covered by this agreement. We will publish details of all changes online at www.bt.com.

52. We will also let you know about a price increase or a change to the terms and conditions that we believe is likely to cause you material disadvantage at least one month before it happens. We will do this in writing (which may include by letter, email, with your bill or by any other permitted method). We will let you know about other changes to prices and our terms and conditions with your next available bill or by an alternative method if this is simpler.
However they are supposed to notify you if the changes "materially disadvantage" you, which in the case of prices is usually taken as an increase above RPI. Your increase of about 6.4%, which is the same as your 1st replier, would seem higher than RPI, but it might depend on when they last increase prices.

I really am in the same position as the OP as the bill states that the broadbamd cost is £17.03 then a discount of £8.52 is showing so I I'm effectively charged £8.51.
No matter how you try to explain/excuse it the price increase has been made during the contract period without, certainly in my case, without notification.
I became so fed-up and frustrated at trying to get answers I gave up.
When the contract term is up (and BT won't even tell me that!!) I'm off to another ISP
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Mar-14 11:31:46
Print Post

[re: fernandez] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fernandez:
I really am in the same position as the OP as the bill states that the broadbamd cost is £17.03 then a discount of £8.52 is showing so I I'm effectively charged £8.51.

The £17.03 price is mentioned here ("Previously available Standard Packages", page 43):

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/asset...

I don't ever recall seeing that price on the main sales pages though, or hearing word of a price increase.

Oliver.
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Tue 25-Mar-14 12:55:29
Print Post

[re: fernandez] [link to this post]

I did not see any notification should I be able to see this as I only get my bills online,also how can they still be selling the product at the old price to new customers,knowing full well they will increase the cost first chance they get,the flyer I received yesterday addressed to me states £8 a month for 6 months then £16 a month,no little asterisk next to it to refer you to any further conditions,just a mention of line rental will be extra, I still have 6 months to run with them,but then who do you move to ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to