User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Scubaholic
(regular) Thu 27-Mar-14 10:48:38
Print Post

Upload speed issue

[link to this post]

Apologies if this has been raised before.
I got Infinity 2 last year and speeds have dropped a bit. However my main problem which I can't get answer out of BT is this: the line was tested and says it will support 75 d/l and 19up, there is no fault with the line or equipment, BT wholesale test confirms this yet I can only get 9.5 meg up at best. I am about 100 metres from cabinet.
One answer I got was if you want faster upload then get a business line!
What I can't understand or get explained is that if the line stats say I should get the max speed then why do I only get half?
My suspicion is that there is a limiter of some sort restricting my upload speed and therefore it is misleading of BT to advertise a service and not provide it.
I did ask what would happen if I downgraded to Infinity 1 would I still get same upload [ as it would be the max for that package] - they would comment on the speed I would get!

Andrew

The secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!
Be* Synch @18Mbps getting about 15meg dl
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 27-Mar-14 11:06:36
Print Post

Re: Upload speed issue

[re: Scubaholic] [link to this post]

If your download speeds are in the 60 Meg or higher area then probably a configuration fault with the Openreach kit.

It happens now and then in that you get the up to 80 download config but the wrong upload config uploaded to the line card port (or some other element). It is a fault that just needs Openreach to be pestered by the ISP.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 27-Mar-14 11:32:23
Print Post

This may not be relevant to fibre but my upload on BT ADSL2 has been cut by more than 50% since my BB was cut off for a fortnight last month. I see yours too has a 50% cut. I've posted on the BT Forum but postings regarding slow uploads confirm the BT second-tier operator who says that it's within limits and nothing can or will be done about it. Sorry but not surprised to see BT top the complaints table this week.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Scubaholic
(regular) Thu 27-Mar-14 12:35:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MR Saffron
I will try and contact BT again to see if this is the issue.
Have tried the BT wholesale speedtest several times just now and can't get the further diagnostics to load.
Got d/l of 68Mbps and up between 9 and 9.6 Mbps

Andrew

Be* Synch @18Mbps getting about 15meg dl
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 27-Mar-14 20:34:38
Print Post

You need to really nag BT first line support and get through to second line.

I had exactly the same issue and I could see my original router stats which confirmed that a 26Mbps upload was possible!. Three long visits from BT Techs (totalling 16 hour) and them making numerous called to support well beyond second line. They loaded and reloaded profiles, pulled my connection onto their own LAN and ran diagnostics - 19Mbps achieved. Back to a normal connection and only 9 Mbps. Then suddenly it jumped to 19Mbps and has remained there.

Persistence is what it needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Mar-14 21:29:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

& the patiece of a saint,no doubt
Standard User Scubaholic
(regular) Thu 27-Mar-14 21:44:51
Print Post

Thanks for this but please explain what you mean by 1st & 2nd line and how to contact 2nd line.
Last year all I got was different people who wanted to argue with me and tell me nothing was wrong.

Are you on a normal connection or another profile?

I agree I need persistence & patience

Andrew

BT Infinity Synch @72Mbps getting about 68Mbps dl
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 27-Mar-14 22:06:17
Print Post

First line are those who answer the phone to you. They know the basics and how to solve a lot of issues. If they have problems they escalate it to second line - you cannot initiate a call to second line but once it is with them you can normally speak with them.

I had the "nothing wrong" answers and have had to argue through it. Start by getting your modem stats - if you can, and that wil show the line capability. Get hold of support, do their checks and then ask for their supervisor/manager and get them to escalate it.

My connection is a standard Business Infinity but I have had to help sort this issue on Residential lines too.

M H C

Standard User Scubaholic
(regular) Thu 27-Mar-14 22:26:43
Print Post

I have a Home Hub 3. When I was on ADSL I could get line stats but on Infinity they no longer show up in the router menu. If there is a way to log on to the cable modem I don't know how.. It is a white box with ECI Telecom on the label.

Thanks for your help MHC

Andrew

BT Infinity Synch @72Mbps getting about 68Mbps dl
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 27-Mar-14 22:36:45
Print Post

It is actually a VDSL modem.

With the ECI no, you cannot log on but with a Huawei HG612 you can.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to