User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Apr-14 11:05:11
Print Post

Infinity phone disconnecting advice

[link to this post]

Just a quickie! We had our Infinity fibre installed on Monday. The problem is, every time we get a phone call, it disconnects the broadband. So we tried the phone and broadband on the master socket, and everything seems okay. So it seems to be an issue with the internal wiring, looking around on the net, possibly a star wiring system that could apparently be solved with back-wiring, or something, not that it makes any sense to me! So to be clear, the broadband is on the master socket as it is, whereas, we have, or prefer, the phone in the hall-way, on another socket, and this causes an issue, so currently, we have to have both on the master.

Anyway, the issue is, these engineer fellows who installed the service on Monday, appeared to have spotted this problem, and were faffing with it for some time, apparently perplexed. Then all of a sudden, all was fine, they told me everything was sorted, and duly left. My suspicion, probably justified, was it was not okay, that they did not have the expertise or time to get it sorted, and wanted to get to their next job. Though it's (almost certainly) an issue with the internal wiring, my question is, who is ultimately culpable when I ring BT later on? I need some ammunition, not keen on being fobbed off. Surely, if they have installed the service, they have a basic responsibility to provide something that is working within our existing set-up? I'm aware that the guys who arrived are probably openreach, but still? Now I'm going through the token, "follow our advice, go to this website, to rule this and this out", stage. Maybe I'm getting a bit long in the tooth and jaded, but I'm fairly sure this wont yield any results!

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Apr-14 12:06:44
Print Post

Re: Infinity phone disconnecting advice

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

Sounds like the extension sockets are unfiltered. You ought to ring BT and complain about a bad installation - quite common with the use of Kellys or Quinns contractors.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 12:09:38
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

If the phone is working when you take apart the master socket to reveal the test socket i.e. look at
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/
which shows how it comes apart.

Then bad wiring is the issue, and sounds like their solution was to live an existing issue in place and vanish

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Apr-14 12:11:02
Print Post

Do you mean the microfilters that I am to affix, or something more technical and internal? Incidentally, we currently use none, is that appropriate for VDSL? Anyway, I just made a phone call recently and got a disconnect, this is while everything was on the master, so it might be a wider problem after all, albeit an intermittent one - Is that plausible? Or is it just some kind of sensitivity owing to the connection adjusting itself within the first week?

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Apr-14 12:16:23
Print Post

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

No, I mean it was a bad install done by cowboy contractors. The whole point of an engineer install is that you get the best possible connection, not some botch-up done by someone whose only interest is moving on to their next job.

Just like ADSL, all extensions must be filtered. You could try a microfilter on the phones to see if that confirms the problem, but you really need BT to send a proper engineer to do it properly.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 12:19:04
Print Post

While it may be a poor install without doing the test socket checks it is too early to be so resolute in the belief that is the total problem

Adding a micro-filter, should not be needed but if it helps points to a bad install.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Apr-14 12:36:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In order to trust the test socket test, it's essential to prove the extensions are disconnected when it's being done. I suspect star-wiring or something before the so-called master.

Standard User TheEulerID
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 14:49:52
Print Post

I would suspect that there may be an extension wired before the master. The easiest way to check is unplug the front plate and see if you still get dial tone on any of the extensions.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:54:23
Print Post

[re: TheEulerID] [link to this post]

LOL
You've replied to BatBoy, telling him exactly the same as he posted.

????

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Apr-14 14:32:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys. Almost magically, everything now seems to be working. What I mean is, I plugged the phone back on the extension socket, and there is no longer an issue. Maybe it was some kind of over-sensitivity owing to the connection training itself? Andrew, that link was very useful. The phone didn't work with the face plate removed, suggesting that there isn't a phone wired before the extension. So all is now okay.

Final Q. The upload speeds are a bit disappointing. Router stats:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 07:48:15
6. Data rate: 4264 / 26435
7. Maximum data rate: 4249 / 30507
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 28.3
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 25.3

I take it there's not much I can do about that?

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to