User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheCouchPotato
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 21:27:37
Print Post

BT Infinity Activated Today

[link to this post]

Hello

I'm hoping someone here can help as BT are just muppets, really should've known better after all these years.

Basically, I signed up for Infinity Package 2 and received the email yesterday to say it's now active. I plugged in the Home Hub 5 and it wasn't receiving a broadband signal as the broadband icon was lit bright red. The hub has an orange glow as well.

Spoken with BT about this and they are planning on sending out an engineer on Friday which is just absurd (3 days to get an engineer out). I've been trying to see if I can fix it myself.

According to the troubleshooting guide, a red B icon indicates you're trying to login with the wrong username and password but that isn't the issue as I haven't touched the standard one (@btbroaband etc).

The router is showing an orange glow as well which suggests "something is wrong" very helpful I know...

Any ideas if I need to do something or have missed something on setting up or otherwise did anyone else have this problem when they first got infinity?

If it helps I've had this line for 20 years and broadband for 10 years. This is the first issue I've had and it started as soon as they disconnected my existing ADSL and put infinity on instead.

BT phone support are of course worthless.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 21:41:30
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Activated Today

[re: TheCouchPotato] [link to this post]

Is the router reporting Infinity connection type speeds?
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46981...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 21:44:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

the router doesn't report anything. it doesn't even "Connect" to the network. Trying to access any webpage while connected to the router brings up only the setup page.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 21:53:26
Print Post

You don't need to authenticate to get ADSL or VDSL connection speed data.

If no connection speed then its not authentication but a simple not plugged in at the other end assuming you have the cables plugged in correctly

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 22:09:22
Print Post

This is what the Home Hub 5 shows under "Broadband" tab.

Line state: Connected
Data Transmitted/Received: 0.1 MB / 0.1 MB
Downstream: 0 bytes
Upstream: 0 bytes

Is this what you're referring to?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 22:18:37
Print Post

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46981

To do this:
Open the web browser on a computer or device connected to your Hub and go to http://bthomehub.home to open the Hub Manager

Enter the admin password. Unless you've previously changed it, you'll find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub. If you have changed it and now forgotten it, you can use the password override feature to set up a new password\

Select Troubleshooting from the menu bar at the top of the page. Then click Helpdesk

You will need to enter your password to continue, then click OK

Your connection speed is the second number listed under Bandwidth. The speed is given in Kbps (kilobits per second).

Take a note of this number if you are going to try to make any changes that might affect your broadband speed

(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 22:40:15
Print Post

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. ADSL uptime: 0 days, 00:22:15
6. Bandwidth: 1063 / 7507
7. Data sent/received: 0.0 MB / 0.0 MB
8. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

That's what it shows.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 22:53:16
Print Post

Which looks like ADSL2+ type speeds, so possibly not switched to Infinity yet

(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 22:57:05
Print Post

According to BT, the open reach engineer claims to have successfully connected and tested the customer's connection before shooting off.

Even if it's only ADSL2, how would that explain the issue of not being able to connect to BT (homehub shows disconnectd at all times) and receiving no internet signal or worse, why is the red broadband icon on indicating an issue with the username/password?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Apr-14 23:14:27
Print Post

Openreach engineer? Did one set it all up, or are you referring to someone on the phone at BT.

What was your speed estimate for the Infinity service?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to