User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Colin_London
(member) Sun 06-Apr-14 13:33:25
Print Post

Home Hub 5 Profile Problems solved?

[link to this post]

I see that BT are increasing the price of the Home Hub 5 from early May.

I presently have a '4' with my Infinity 2 connection with the separate Openreach modem. I have read previously that people with Infinity 2 buying Home Hub 5s as an upgrade were having problems with their profiles being reset to Infinity 1 speeds. Has this been resolved now?

Also is there any difference in VDSL performance? I have a Huawei variant Openreach modem talking to a Huawei Cab, but I understand that the HomeHub 5 has an ECI modem in it? Is that going to make the connection worse?

Finally I am currently on a banded profile. Could introducing the HomeHub 5 instead of the Openreach modem affect that adversely?

I have been holding off getting a HomeHub 5 for the above reasons but with a price rise imminent perhaps should now take the plunge?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 17:46:40
Print Post

Re: Home Hub 5 Profile Problems solved?

[re: Colin_London] [link to this post]

I have an ECI (stand alone) modem on a Huawei cabinet - and it performs better. In the early days of ADSL matching home modem and DSLAM could improve the link but with all the experience now gained that has been fed back into modem designs/firmware it is less of an issue and would have benefited VDSL too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Busa
(newbie) Sun 06-Apr-14 18:08:06
Print Post

You might want to search on OpenRG and PPP LCP on the Infinity Forum before deciding to get a HH5.

I left BT and had nothing but problems with them since January. now I've changed ISP I'm still using the HH5, same line and never had a problem with speeds, OpenRG or PPP LCP. The posts in the Infinity Forum will paint a picture for you.

IMHO it's obviously not the HH5 that is causing the problem but something BT are doing and they are being evasive and not at all honest about. So much so that they have banned several customers from the forum (all of whom I still have contact with regardless), myself included and closed down threads asking for answers an these issues.

My personal opinion after trying to work with BT on the issues for some 3 months and having it thrown back in my face to the point I left them, don't use the HH5 the only way I could stay connected from more than an hour was to use an unlocked Huawei HG612.

Edited by Busa (Sun 06-Apr-14 18:09:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Apr-14 10:16:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Colin_London:
I see that BT are increasing the price of the Home Hub 5 from early May.

I presently have a '4' with my Infinity 2 connection with the separate Openreach modem. I have read previously that people with Infinity 2 buying Home Hub 5s as an upgrade were having problems with their profiles being reset to Infinity 1 speeds. Has this been resolved now?

Also is there any difference in VDSL performance? I have a Huawei variant Openreach modem talking to a Huawei Cab, but I understand that the HomeHub 5 has an ECI modem in it? Is that going to make the connection worse?

Finally I am currently on a banded profile. Could introducing the HomeHub 5 instead of the Openreach modem affect that adversely?

I have been holding off getting a HomeHub 5 for the above reasons but with a price rise imminent perhaps should now take the plunge?

I had mine reset when i bought a HH5 but they said it only happens to people that had the original infinity, before there was a 1 and 2 option which would explain why it didn't happen to everyone. They said the system was trying to put in to place infinity 2 when the line involved (according to the system) never had such a thing on it even though it clearly did.

I think the HH5 is slightly faster on its own than either of my HH3 or HH4 connected to the OR modem, this is what i get over 5GHz wireless using a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WiFi card (in a separate room with a brick wall between HH5 and PC) http://www.speedtest.net/result/3425298193.png
(member) Wed 09-Apr-14 23:54:57
Print Post

[re: Alnath] [link to this post]

Many thanks Alnath - I have always been on the Infinity 2 product so hopefully I won't have a problem. HomeHub 5 now on order.

A bit annoying that the 4 has only about 7 months use on it but i'll keep it as my spare (got a nice price on ebay for my old Airport Extreme).
Standard User Busa
(newbie) Sat 12-Apr-14 00:08:11
Print Post

Guess you didn't read any of the posts I mentioned then? If you had you might think twice about the HH5 on Infinity1 or 2.

As an example:-

OpenRG Resets

I had nothing but problems and I'm not the only one. Strange now I've moved ISP and still use the HH5 with exactly the same equipment and not a single problem with disconnects, my speeds are faster and my ping is lower.

So the issue isn't actually the HH5 it's BT!

Edited by Busa (Sat 12-Apr-14 00:09:24)

(member) Sat 12-Apr-14 11:10:02
Print Post

[re: Busa] [link to this post]

No I did read them - and decided to take the risk.

Homehub arrived yesterday and set up. No problems & no disconnects (so far).

The think what is going to annoy me now however is that I can see direct evidence of the 3dB banding they have slapped on my line (and appears to be immovable). The upload max data rate is spot on 20Mbps with 6dB margin (correct) but the download is constrained to 54Mbps with never less than 9.8dB Margin, when the HomeHub is reporting maximum possible download speed in excess of 67Mbps.

Aaaargh! Have been stuck on this profile for 6 months now......
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Apr-14 11:29:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Colin_London:
Aaaargh! Have been stuck on this profile for 6 months now......

Given you've probably just changed the modem for the first time, give DLM a week or two to determine if you have different error counts.

Randomly in the last 12 hours DLM has decided to remove interleaving from my line, which has been interleaved for the last 18 months (since two days after install). The DLM works in mysterious ways. Although I think my upload is likely banded at a low sync speed; but I don't feel like fighting the BT helpdesk.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Busa
(newbie) Sat 12-Apr-14 12:20:20
Print Post

Well best of luck with it but keep an eye on the router logs especially System and TR069
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Apr-14 09:23:37
Print Post

[re: Busa] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Busa:
Guess you didn't read any of the posts I mentioned then? If you had you might think twice about the HH5 on Infinity1 or 2.

As an example:-

OpenRG Resets

I had nothing but problems and I'm not the only one. Strange now I've moved ISP and still use the HH5 with exactly the same equipment and not a single problem with disconnects, my speeds are faster and my ping is lower.

So the issue isn't actually the HH5 it's BT!

I did a full reset of my HH5 and these all but vanished, i get one about every 2 weeks, hardly life ruining.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to