User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User clairej0
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 21:29:25
Print Post

help! please....no wireless :(

[link to this post]

Can anyone help?????
We moved into our new house in august last year, 100 yards from our previous home. BT infinity was transferred too. It was amazing at our old address, but from day 1 here, not so good. Wireless occasionally dropped out and was slower but it was ok.
For the last 4 months it has got worse and worse. Now we have excellent wired connection but our wireless is non existent. We've changed hubs. Nothing. Moved the hub. Nothing. We haven't changed anything. Its just stopped completely. BT cannot offer any explanations or any further ideas.
Just sorry. Put up with it.
There's no point in us moving suppliers if we have no idea if they'll be any better.
It did work. How or why has it stopped????
Kids are driving me crazy cos they want games, youtube etc plus homework and uni work needs doing.
frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Apr-14 21:54:51
Print Post

Re: help! please....no wireless :(

[re: clairej0] [link to this post]

Can you see any other wireless networks when you join a computer to your network? If there are a good number then it may just be that the wi-fi congestion is worse.

Another option is if this new house has foil backed plasterboard and the last one did not, then this will attenuate the wireless signal

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User clairej0
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 22:19:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes there are other networks but I've not noticed any new ones.
And this is a new house to us but not a new new house. Its 20 years old.
But I still don't understand why the wireless was working for September, October, November, December and has got progressively worse this year to now having no wireless at all or we can connect for a few seconds??

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Apr-14 22:36:09
Print Post

Is it just the one computer or several that are having problems?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User clairej0
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 22:39:28
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Laptop is wired.
All mobile devices, phones (iphones and samsung galaxy's), tablets (ipad and samsung) and games consoles (playstation and xbox) cannot connect.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Apr-14 23:23:34
Print Post

Used to suggest http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to look at network clashes but don't think it is free anymore

If other people have upgraded to faster N wireless they may be using 40 MHz wide bands which causes more problems, and while lots of wireless networks can co-exist it is only when people are not using them largely.

As a double check, no new video senders, baby monitors or other wireless devices that may be on the 2.4GHz band?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User clairej0
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 23:28:32
Print Post

Nope. Nothing else wireless.
Had ps4 at Christmas time but that's been the only change in the house
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Apr-14 23:48:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Used to suggest http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to look at network clashes but don't think it is free anymore
I think I installed inSSIDer Office (Version 3.1.0.100) for free for my Win8 from http://www.metageek.net/support/metageek-software-ar... .

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User clairej0
(newbie) Thu 10-Apr-14 23:56:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

And this will tell me if there are clashes with other networks??
Or with other wifi devices too?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Apr-14 00:11:55
Print Post

It will tell you about other broadband wireless-enabled routers.

It won't tell you about other stuff that might cause the problem like some microwave ovens, some types of light (I expect) and some other things. If you look on the link given to metageek you will see they also have a chargeable product that covers all relevant sources of wireless relevant frequency radiation.

It's also possible the inbuilt WAP in your router is failing. A Linksys of mine did, but its wired was perfect. If you don't have a spare router to try, you could buy a separate WAP to connect to it and see if that solves the problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to