User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eancox
(newbie) Fri 25-Apr-14 12:05:13
Print Post

anyone transferred from Coms

[link to this post]

Hi
I'm on Coms phone and broadband (was adsl24) and was wondering if anyone else has moved to BT infinity and phone. The guy on the phone said that BT would handle everything and that I didn't need to get in touch with Coms. So I'm wondering if anyone else have gone this route and what their experience was.
Should I get in contact with Coms, or follow their example and not bother telling them anything.
Standard User DooGie
(committed) Fri 25-Apr-14 21:01:57
Print Post

Re: anyone transferred from Coms

[re: eancox] [link to this post]

I'll be doing the same this weekend. I asked Coms for my MAC last night and received it by email today.
Planning on starting the ball rolling with BT tomorrow.
So sorry I can't answer your question but would have thought you would need to obtain a MAC from Coms.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Apr-14 21:49:26
Print Post

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

It depends what service the user was on with COMS (ADSL24). If it was full LLU then no MAC is required, though it may be wise to give formal notice of leaving to COMS.

If it was not full LLU then a MAC is needed. If the non-LLU phone was with them as well then the customer should (haha!) receive a communication from them that their phone is being transferred elsewhere and asking if this is at their request. That's an OfCom requirement to prevent line spamming. For some odd reason not required in the full LLU case.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Apr-14 21:49:50)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eancox
(newbie) Sat 26-Apr-14 01:58:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm on LLU. I had the 30gb phone and broadband package from ADSL24. I just wish that I could lose the phone line part as I rarely ever use a land line.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 26-Apr-14 04:58:31
Print Post

I assume from the wording of your post that you ordered Infinity via telephone. I only mention it as If you signed on to Infinity via the web, you would be wise to check when you get the notification email of phone line takeback that the order for Infinity part has actually gone through. As this part of the order often still fails on web placed orders and it happened to me last summer and happened only the other week to a friend of mine. Luckily, after my experience, he checked and it had failed. Fortunately, they were able to put it through there and then so he still got his Infinity activated on the date quoted, other wise he would have just been sitting there waiting for ever for his FTTC to go live.

I would still email your original provider, partly as a courtesy and partly so they definitely are aware that you are moving. Plus, with some providers, asking for and getting a mac and even the ISP you are moving to using it to switch isn't automatically taken as you leaving so check if you need to give notice. For if you do and don't give it to them, as asking for a MAC on its own is not the same as giving notice, they can and may continue to charge you. Seen it happen to a few of my friends over the last couple of years.
Standard User eancox
(newbie) Sun 27-Apr-14 01:15:35
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Thanks for info. As soon as I receive the paperwork from BT I'll check about Infinity although as this is an installation of Infinity with an engineer I would hope that everything would be setup.
I will also get in touch with Coms when I receive the BT paperwork and check it as I have a few days in which to cancel it if I want to.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Apr-14 05:28:23
Print Post

Well you only have to worry if you ordered Infinity online, as that is when it fails. If you ordered by phone you should be OK.

But if you did order online and the order fails then the first you will likely know about it is when you don't get notification that the engineer is due. This will be at the end of the usual two weeks or so it takes after them taking back your line. If that does happen it will then take at least another two or three weeks while they put the order through and process it again.

Luckily, I remembered that the initial order response email had mentioned that when I got notification of them having finally taken back my line that I would also get an Infinity 2 order confirmation, which I didn't get. Luckily I then decided to phone up sales just to check and basically got a 'what infinity 2 order'. They then explained to me, as has happened to others I know recently, on web orders the Infinity 2 part of the order often fails to go through. Fortunately, they were then able to sort it out there and then so I still got it installed within the time frame they had originally quoted me when I placed the order. Otherwise I could have been waiting another two or three weeks without land line based Internet.

So whatever you do, assume nothing with BT. You know what they say about assumptions and, sadly, BT have a nasty habit of proving that old adage only too true.
Standard User DooGie
(committed) Sun 27-Apr-14 19:41:22
Print Post

So are you saying that if you ordered Infinity online it's best to phone them to check that has gone through ok?
Just wondering as I received automated emails advising me of the date my router would be delivered and the date the installation would be carried out.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Apr-14 10:07:45
Print Post

[re: DooGie] [link to this post]

If you got those emails notifying you of the date of router delivery and engineer visit it sounds like everything is OK and your Infinity 2 order is being process as normal. It was those steps that were missing in mine and other peoples cases and which didn't happen when the order was done by telephone.

There is a glitch in their system but perhaps they are fixing it at last, though it did just happen to an acquaintance a few weeks ago, where he didn't get anything but the landline take back notification. Fortunately, as he was aware of the issue he managed to get it sorted out with a phone call there and then. Basically the sales staff just have to manually put the order through again. It is obvious they are well versed in it by now.. But I also know others who were not so lucky, being unaware of the Infinity online order issues and only contacted BT when the original estimate of activation given when you first place the order had passed. That then meant another two or three weeks wait as the order was finally put through properly.

Happily, it sounds as if in your case things are working as they should. Good luck as Infinity 2 is a really good service and the very occasional small amount of contention I have seen is negligible, even at the busiest of times. Just hope you don't need to contact their telephone support staff with anything beyond a simp;le query, for they truly are dire, excruciatingly polite, but dire. Dealing with them is one of the best ways I know of completely losing the will to live.
Standard User DooGie
(committed) Mon 28-Apr-14 15:22:15
Print Post

Thanks for the reply jcym.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to