User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User keithwjones
(committed) Sat 03-May-14 09:58:10
Print Post

Another Router To Use?

[link to this post]

I have Infinity 2 with ECI modem and HH3.

Has anyone got any recommendations for another router?

Keith
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 10:47:42
Print Post

Re: Another Router To Use?

[re: keithwjones] [link to this post]

Using a Asus RT-N66U on another provider and plenty of people around here are happy with this. Though its not a cheap choice at £109 but does have option of alternative firmware versions with the Merlin version being popular

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 03-May-14 11:03:44
Print Post

I use what is, by now, a fairly old Netgear WNDR 3700 but it has 4 GB ports (the main reason I use it), dual channel WiFi covering A, B, C and N which works pretty well around my block though I use wired for everything but my tablet. But any comparably specified newer router, perhaps one of the newer equivalent Netgears, would work fine. I know a few fiends using the newer WNDR 4300 N750 and N900, much like my older model but faster WiFI, and a few extra features. I like Netgear kit and if replacing my 3700 would probably go for the N900, or the N750 if cash was a bit tight. But any similarly priced and specced kit from the other big names should do just as well. It all depends on what extras you want and how much you want to pay.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 11:54:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Would you recommend using that even with the HH5?

I have a tp-link WR1043ND ( I think) which was used with cable - would that work also?

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 03-May-14 11:55:33)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 12:45:41
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

The HH5 has no modem only mode, so if looking to improve wireless I would recommend a wireless access point rather than a full router

i.e. two NAT routers can cause issues for some UPnP services

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User keithwjones
(committed) Sat 03-May-14 12:50:02
Print Post

Thanks for input. Asus appears popular.

Another one cheaper at around £42 is WD My Net N750 HD Dual Band Router, which is a cable router. It was not obvious before I read up on it that the replacement is a cable type router.

I'll do some more research.

The other question, I share my connection with BTFON etc, will this be a problem with another router?

Keith
(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 13:45:43
Print Post

I would be using Ethernet to be honest only a small flat here. But I was wondering if using something like the TP link would work as I used al ot of the features such as VPN and DNS etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:30:15
Print Post

You won't appear as a FON to others - as to whether BT will stop your access to other FON's when out and about I don't know.

As a BT Retail customer you would still retain your BT OpenZone WiFi access no matter what router you use

(knowledge is power) Sat 03-May-14 14:36:14
Print Post

If the HH5 does a fon hotspot then I am definitely not using it. If I wanted t share a connection I could use the community one we have here.

Edit:: Post 15 of this thread states something interesting.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/...

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 03-May-14 14:38:56)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 14:37:53
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

If using the HH5 as the first modem (and also router) then the features like VPN I would not guarantee on a second NAT router.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to