User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User subaru_swift_kls
(member) Wed 07-May-14 11:12:46
Print Post

new to BT fibre, does my homehub 5 info look ok so far.

[link to this post]

Hi folks

I just moved to BT fibre infinity 2 this morning & the set up went nice & smooth. as I was with sky for a couple of weeks but there were hidden charges after I was told a set price on a letter after they took over BE There.

so I am just asking if the home hub 5 info looks right for the moment ? =

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: +>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:10:36
6. Data rate: 8158 / 60527
7. Maximum data rate: 8331 / 60490
8. Noise margin: 6.2 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 23.0
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 20.9

I am getting download speed of 56.70 Mb/s but only upload speed of 7.69 Mb/s, even if the BT web site says I can get up to 19 Mb\s upload speed.

so will my UP load speed get better after the so called line stable time ?, however it as cut off a couple of times for about 30 secs. cheers kenny

Edited by subaru_swift_kls (Wed 07-May-14 11:19:41)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 11:27:59
Print Post

Re: new to BT fibre, does my homehub 5 info look ok so far.

[re: subaru_swift_kls] [link to this post]

You are right that there is something badly wrong with the upstream, given the good downstream. That is a fault, which may be temporary or long-term. It is unlikely to self-correct.

Don't believe what BT say about line stabilisation. They hadn't a clue on ADSLx and even less on FTTC. After tomorrow night things will be largely sorted.

Was it an Openreach engineer who did the installation, or a contractor such as Kelly's or Quinn's? I suspect a duff job.

Edit - the line should go at its fastest when first connected and only go down from there, never significantly up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-May-14 11:29:42)

(member) Wed 07-May-14 11:28:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Kelly's sorry to say

Moving to BT Fibre

RIP BE There & Ukonline thanks to sky frown I will miss your support & help.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 11:30:59
Print Post

I've just done an edit as well.

Is your HH5 connected to a new VDSL faceplate in the master socket, or somewhere else?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(member) Wed 07-May-14 11:37:17
Print Post

I have now got the so called master socket in my bedroom next to my pc, the socket is a BT open reach mk2.

as the master socket was in the kitchen & the bloke just moved some wires about in the kitchen \ living room\ main bedroom & outside.

I don't fully know what he did but he said my bedroom where the hh5 is now the master socket for my house.

the download speed is nice but the upload is only half speed, should I wait a full day or 2 then maybe ring BT up ? what checks can they do.
however I have a bad feeling the wiring inside my house or even the bt box out side might be at fault as he was swapping & changing some cables about in all the sockets.

Moving to BT Fibre

(member) Wed 07-May-14 11:47:34
Print Post

strange just had a phone call from BT & the lady said how are things, so I said the download was fine but the upload was half speed.

but she said it will get faster in a couple of hours & then hung up,,,,,

ok should I be worried now smile

Moving to BT Fibre

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 07-May-14 11:49:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by subaru_swift_kls:
but she said it will get faster in a couple of hours & then hung up,,,,,
Rubbish.
ok should I be worried now smile
Yes frown. But I have to go.

(member) Wed 07-May-14 11:52:24
Print Post

many thanks for the hep so far, I will see how it goes but I have to go on a job too in a bit frown.

at least the speeds are a lot better now then when I used to be on adsl \ llu.

Moving to BT Fibre

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 07-May-14 12:44:45
Print Post

I'm shuddering to think how my install is going to go :/
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-May-14 12:48:49
Print Post

Extremely unlikely for it to get faster on its own 'in a few hours'. That looks like a definite fault on the upload leg considering the figures and your upload speed. I would expect close to the max upload speed for those figures. I had a similar problem a while ago and numerous telephone support staff, first and second line, tried to brush me off with a load of rubbish about how the upload speed doesn't have the same criteria attached as the download when it comes to speed issues being regarded as faulty. In the end I had to email the CEO to get it sorted properly.

Though fair play, not that it should be necessary in the first place, once I did that the Newcastle team contacted me by phone the very same day, agreed there was a definite issue and would send out an engineer. The engineer they then sent out was really superb and really knew his stuff and couldn't have done any more than he did to sort out the fault. He spent a couple of hours digging around between my block and the cab to find the fault, which was a HR problem on the copper up leg and also fully checked all my internal wiring and my blocks wiring. He also replaced the socket with a new one, something Kelly's had failed to do, though I had missed that at the time, but noticed later, because I hadn't been that well when he did the installation. I won't repeat what he said when I replied that Kelly's had done the installation when he asked after checking things out my end, it's before the watershed after all smile. Though he wasn't any more complimentary towards BT's telephone support, except to remark that between the two of them, they did keep him in gainful employment.

Thus, while Infinity 2 is a superb product when it works, telephone support is pretty close to the worst I have ever experienced and not on just the one issue such as this one. I have had three other separate issues to do with my account and sign up in under a year and every time it has taken multiple phone calls over weeks to sort out each issue with every new person getting involved contradicting the previous one. Dealing with BT telephone support is a guaranteed way to end up wanting to give up the will to live but they are almost insultingly polite while doing it. Also, if my experience over the best part of a year is any guide, their telephone support is actually getting worse.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to