User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ramdrive
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 14:51:30
Print Post

BT infinity 2 Install Problem

[link to this post]

Hello All,

I have just had the BT engineer out to install 78mbps Infinity 2 to my property, I was was quite shocked when he refused to install a new master socket or do any line optimization as we had an ADT alarm attached.

He just plugged in a filter, plugged in the home hub 5 and left, total time at my property was 5 minutes!

I have run a speed test and get 39.96mbps download and 10.9mbps upload (I should get 67-80mb Download and 19-20mb upload according to the BT's site).

Does all this sound correct to you? Should I demand to get a new socket put in?

I am really lost as to what to do next...

Here are my speed test results:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User ramdrive
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 14:54:42
Print Post

Re: BT infinity 2 Install Problem

[re: ramdrive] [link to this post]

Some more info:-

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:49:10
6. Data rate: 11696 / 55996
7. Maximum data rate: 11164 / 57003
8. Noise margin: 5.7 / 6.7
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 17.1
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 17.2
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-May-14 15:07:01
Print Post

You can get 57 down max and 11 up so the upload looks right. the download is not as you know.

I would ring up BT and ask them to check the line possibly it's called at inifnity 1 speeds?

All I know that I have an install soon and the more I read the more I fret!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-May-14 15:42:29
Print Post

Did you have broadband on the line before, and if so is the alarm filtered at/inside its control box?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ramdrive
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 15:55:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Did you have broadband on the line before, and if so is the alarm filtered at/inside its control box?

No we did not have broadband on this line before. The ADT wire goes directly into the master socket no idea were it is filtered.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-May-14 16:12:31
Print Post

I suggest you ask ADT about that alarm then.

A modern installation with pre-existing broadband will be filtered. Very old ones without broadband aren't. What happens in the intermediate scenarios of which yours is one I have no idea, sorry. Maybe recent ones are always filtered, maybe not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-May-14 16:30:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I had to call ADT to warn them I was having a phone line upgrade re Infinity then let them know afterwards when the work was done. It was the Openreach installer who advised me on this after asking about a monitored alarm.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User ramdrive
(newbie) Thu 08-May-14 16:42:59
Print Post

I am not worried about the ADT side, they are going to send an engineer out to sort that.

My main concern is loosing speed because no new master socket was fitted, also what optimizations should the engineer have done?

If anybody here has had infinity 2 fitted what did your installer do?

P.S The installer was from Quinns.

Edited by ramdrive (Thu 08-May-14 16:43:43)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 08-May-14 17:12:38
Print Post

I had a 80/20 installation done by Quinn a couple of days ago and he turned one of the extensions into a master (fitted bt mk2 faceplate) where the modem is plugged into. Took him 30 mins and he did a very good job as I get line speeds of 75/18 day & night smile

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps