User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-May-14 08:57:15
Print Post

CWMP Log Entries and LAN disconnects

[link to this post]

I have seen some odd things on my HH5. Sitting watching Amazon Instant and suddenly the video stops and all devices disconnect - wired and wireless. This includes wireless devices actually dropping the wireless signal. About 5 seconds later it all connects back again.

The logs show no reboot or line disconnect. What I do get is log entries about a CWMP connection with a BT server changing settings on the router (pretty much identical to these).

I don't have access to the logs at the mo so can't post precise logs but it is as per the BT forum post but mine seem to cause all the local LAN/WLAN devices to disconnect for about 5 seconds. The line stays up and no other signficant events seem to be going on (although I do need a closer look at the logs to check this).

From everything I can find it is doing remote access into the router. That suggests that BT systems are making automated changes that then cause the router to essentially disconnect all devices. And this is happening during the evening when the device is in use. I can understand it being done in the middle of the night when the line is idle but to keep doing it evenings is not on.

I have had this a couple of evenings now. Last week when it happened it went off 3 times in an hour and only stopped when I rebooted the router.

Has anyone else seen a similar problem where local LAN goes down at the same time as these events are reported in the log?

I am very close to buying an Asus router - I seem not to have the PPP issues that others do (yet) but it disconnecting local devices for no good reason in the middle of the evening is not something I am willing to put up with.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-May-14 13:40:25
Print Post

Re: CWMP Log Entries and LAN disconnects

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I am very close to buying an Asus router - I seem not to have the PPP issues that others do (yet) but it disconnecting local devices for no good reason in the middle of the evening is not something I am willing to put up with.

If you have a VDSL modem (the Huawei HG612 or the ECI ) then you won't look back from an Asus router. Either the RT-N66U or the RT-AC68U are both stable and very good.

With BT you need to use PPPoE username and password, the username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and for the password just use a single space.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-May-14 13:58:17
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I am thinking of going back to my Billion 7800 with an apple airport express for the wireless. I just need to setup the profile for the multicast so that the BT YouView works properly.

It is really annoying as the HH5 actually seems to work well in most ways and this one issue is letting it down. I like having the single device so that I have one less box connected (my coffee table in the dining room is starting to look like a data centre with modem, router, airport express, sonos bridge, samknows box and cordless answerphone. It is a big table but there is a limit to the number of devices I want on it wink

I suspect tonight will be time to break out the billion and unplug the HH5 - BT really should be able to do better than this.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-May-14 15:11:49
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I am thinking of going back to my Billion 7800 with an apple airport express for the wireless. I just need to setup the profile for the multicast so that the BT YouView works properly.

It is really annoying as the HH5 actually seems to work well in most ways and this one issue is letting it down. I like having the single device so that I have one less box connected (my coffee table in the dining room is starting to look like a data centre with modem, router, airport express, sonos bridge, samknows box and cordless answerphone. It is a big table but there is a limit to the number of devices I want on it wink

I suspect tonight will be time to break out the billion and unplug the HH5 - BT really should be able to do better than this.

I know the problem! BT gave me a HH3 with the HG612, so I quickly realised it was low featured and used my Airport Extreme for a while, then bought the Asus, as I'd previously used on ADSL a Draytek router with lots of features. The HH3 was reliable, but only 2.4GHz wifi became an issue in my area for high (>15Mbps) speeds.

I have HG612, Asus, Samknows box, 8 port switch, and a Hive control box, all sitting in the corner, gathering lots of dust. One box solutions would be nice, but then you can't reboot the router without resyncing the VDSL which is nice thing to avoid.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl: cablemodem, BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to