User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Tue 13-May-14 19:04:39
Print Post

Routers in bridge - connection failure

[link to this post]

Hi

We've got a BB connection on BT ADSL (not fibre). For the last 6 months I've been running a Technicolor 585v7 in bridge mode connected to a Linux based router / firewall.

This evening the modem has been connected with the normal sync speed, snr etc. but no routing was occurring. I rebooted everything and the router / firewall was unable to get an response to it auth requests. I tried my old DG834GT in router mode and connection was all good. Great I think, the 585 has died. I switched the DG to modem only mode, good sync and then tried to connect the firewall / router, no luck, no response again.

In desperation I dug out an old Netgear DMP111P modem. It connected fine but with a lower connection speed (which is the main reason I don't use it). I reconnected the router / firewall, changed the connection type (to ethernet DHCP) and now all is connected and working albeit a bit slower. The public IP is passed to the router / firewall and all is happy again.

Before I go and ask BT (shudder) does anyone know if BT have introduced any changes that would have caused this to happen ? I have not changed a single bit of my setup, honest smile

I've been fortunate that we've only had to talk to BT once since the line was installed and once since it was moved to BT (from BE 6 months ago), neither time was a particularly good experience.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Now -> Be *
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 13-May-14 19:24:38
Print Post

Re: Routers in bridge - connection failure

[re: fredfox] [link to this post]

What DSL settings do you have on the modem?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User fredfox
(experienced) Tue 13-May-14 20:31:57
Print Post

Re: Routers in bridge - connection failure

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The settings on the routers when they're in bridge mode are pretty limited, 0.38 and DSL type set to auto and VC-based (VC-MUX)

The netgear modem is 0.38, PPPoA VC-based and it contains the user / password.

Pipex
Nildram
UKFSN
Now -> Be *

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to