User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Wed 14-May-14 17:06:26
Print Post

Whats the best deal I can get as a new BT customer?

[link to this post]

Requested my MAC from Sky yesterday and was given it over the phone with very little hassle, surprisingly.

About to jump ship to BT, I can't get FTTC until an estimated date of sometime in May (Sam Knows says RFS set 31st May) Postcode checker says I can't get FTTC as yet so I'll quiz them on that when I phone.

But I was wondering what the best sort of deals people had been offered were lately as new customers transferring from another ISP? We currently have our phone line from BT and have no plans to change that. My exchange is Bonnybridge ESBYB.
Standard User fernandez
(committed) Thu 15-May-14 10:41:38
Print Post

Re: Whats the best deal I can get as a new BT customer?

[re: RSV_Ecosse] [link to this post]

Always worth checking the offers online too http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broad...
and, although it's not always guaranteed and shouldn't be depended upon, have a look also at the cashback offers through Quidco
Standard User Kronos2001
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-May-14 19:10:28
Print Post

[re: fernandez] [link to this post]

I switched from Be toward the end of last year to avoid being moved to Sky's network. The offer I took was one that was sent to me in a letter by BT. It was much better than anything they had on their website at the time and the current offers still aren't as good.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sat 07-Jun-14 10:10:33
Print Post

[re: Kronos2001] [link to this post]

Update - I've sat on this MAC code from Sky for a couple of weeks, for no reason other than being too busy to do anything with it. Finally decided last night to order BT Unlimited Broadband. Can't get Infinity yet although my exchange is showing it will be FTTC enabled by June. I'll upgrade when it appears. So in the meantime I went for the current offer of 12 months @ £8 per month plus the Sainsburys voucher of £100. Free BT Sport, whilst not a deal breaker, is a bonus as I'm a bike racing nut so Moto GP live will be nice, thanks! Looking forward to being activated on the 16th of this month so I can wave bye-bye to Sky.

Edited by RSV_Ecosse (Sat 07-Jun-14 15:57:21)

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 07-Jun-14 10:32:47
Print Post

I have Infinity 2 uncapped usage and, although expensive with any time calls included in my package, I must say it's been 100% reliable, stable and with constant speeds all day (and night). 40 Mbps down and 12 up. About 200 Metres from the cabinet.

Looks like you get a nice 'freebie' if you sign-up.

Upgrade when it's available to you!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-Jun-14 12:34:20
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
40 Mbps down and 12 up. About 200 Metres from the cabinet.
Hmmm. Unless the copper from the cabinet goes all round the houses on its way to you, those speeds are pretty poor.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 07-Jun-14 14:02:40
Print Post

You should be able to upgrade without penalty - you will just have to agree a new 12/18/24 month contract with BT from the date of the change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User kamelion
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Jun-14 14:10:43
Print Post

Try the address checker too. The postcode checker for me shows no FTTC (i'm on sky fibre, go figure) the full address checker shows available.

Sky Fibre Unlimited
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 07-Jun-14 16:01:30
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

Postcode checking alone is useless if checking for fibre services.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RSV_Ecosse
(regular) Sat 07-Jun-14 16:01:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You should be able to upgrade without penalty - you will just have to agree a new 12/18/24 month contract with BT from the date of the change.

Yep, the BT fella said that there would be no cost to upgrade to fibre once its available. He also said not to assume that because my exchange becomes FTTC enabled that I can receive it as it depends on whether the cabinet which will serve my street goes 'live' or not. I'll check that address checker.
  Print Thread

Jump to