User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Thu 22-May-14 18:52:47
Print Post

BT Infinity query

[link to this post]

is BT Infinity classes as a fibre product or adsl product

I ask because Sky have asked me about LLC /VC Mutiplex setting my router the Linksys WRT1900AC does not support this feature, Im sure I read somewhere that infinity product there is no Llc /VC

any one assist plea thanks

Lee
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-May-14 20:00:34
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity query

[re: Leenig] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Leenig:
is BT Infinity classes as a fibre product or adsl product

If you're in an FTTC area then technically its VDSL and you need a modem or router that understands VDSL such as the routers Sky SR102 or the BT HomeHub 5 or a modem such as the Huawei HG612 or the ECI. The VDSL doesn't expose these settings.

If you're lucky enough to be in an FTTP area then BT also sell this as Infinity and you have to have a BT modem that you can connect any router to.

Sky's question is ADSL only related.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Thu 22-May-14 21:15:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Nope I have FTTC my connection is via a open reach VDSL box being I have chosen to use my own router and the not the BT hub. So am I still fibre?

Any help with the LLC VC query on fibre (if I am) is it correct you have no LLC VC
thanks

Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-May-14 21:18:12
Print Post

Nope I have FTTC my connection is via a open reach VDSL box being I have chosen to use my own router and the not the BT hub. So am I still fibre?

FTTC is advertised as fibre, but the actual signal into your home is over a copper wire using the VDSL protocol. The fibre stops at the big green box in the street. This is why many people dislike the term 'fibre' being used, except for FTTP. Virgin Media started this nonsense I believe and BT copied :-/

Any help with the LLC VC query on fibre (if I am) is it correct you have no LLC VC

As you have an openreach modem you have no LLC VC settings. Your only choice is to connect an ethernet device and use PPPoE with username/password.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Thu 22-May-14 21:29:47
Print Post

thanks

Lee

Correct, there is no LLC VC on fibre. Put your router in PPPoE mode and enter your username/pw.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps
Powered by Linksys EA6900
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-May-14 00:10:12
Print Post

Sky have asked me
Is your ISP Sky or BT Retail?

If BT, Why are you talking to Sky?

If Sky, you are not on BT Infinity, which is only a trademark of BT Retail. Your fibre is FTTC provided by BT Openreach, via BT Wholesale. And why are you posting in this forum?
I have chosen to use my own router and the not the BT hub.
Also, if Sky, you will not have been offered a BT Hub which is only supplied by BT Retail.

I think you are confused between BT Retail's proprietary BT Infinity and the FTTC sold by all other ISPs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Fri 23-May-14 00:18:21
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thank you so very much everyone for your replies.

Lee
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Fri 23-May-14 02:03:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

MY ISP is BT Retail

Im talking to Sky because I have issues using their on demand service -I have wireless connection since their update last week the on demand connection as failed to work.

I have BT Infinity option 2 - I queried if this product was fibre being I had read somewhere that fibre products do not use multiplexing LLC / VC I wanted to go back to Sky with the right info

Sky have asked me
Is your ISP Sky or BT Retail?

If BT, Why are you talking to Sky?

If Sky, you are not on BT Infinity, which is only a trademark of BT Retail. Your fibre is FTTC provided by BT Openreach, via BT Wholesale. And why are you posting in this forum?
I have chosen to use my own router and the not the BT hub.
Also, if Sky, you will not have been offered a BT Hub which is only supplied by BT Retail.

I think you are confused between BT Retail's proprietary BT Infinity and the FTTC sold by all other ISPs
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 23-May-14 08:21:19
Print Post

Im talking to Sky because I have issues using their on demand service -I have wireless connection since their update last week the on demand connection as failed to work.

Do a forced update on your sky box as the previous update may have become corrupt:

1) Turn off mains power to the sky box
2) Whilst holding the 'backup' button on top of the sky box, switch on the power
3) Keep the 'backup' button pressed until you see the 4 led's lit up (takes 5-10 sec)
4) Let go of the backup button and wait 10-15 mins whilst the box checks and upgrades fw if necessary

If this doesn't work try a wired ethernet connection from the sky box to your router. If On Demand works via ethernet it means your (sky?) wireless connector has gone tits up and you should ask Sky to replace it free of charge if still under warranty.

TalkTalk Business Fibre 79987/19999 kbps