User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User barrymcmahon
(regular) Tue 27-May-14 00:11:25
Print Post

still a problem?

[link to this post]

The BTW tester gives me a speed of 15 while last month I was getting 44 on my FTTC connection however the phone and broadband were off for three days due to water damage/ corroded connection and fixed today (a bank holiday well done) the guy who fixed it said I should get better speeds as I now have a good connection in the box but as you can see I do not!
So do I still have the problem or will the speed reset itself over the next few days. Before he fixed it the line reconnected for broadband for a few hours in the heavy rain with a very slow service and then went on and off a few times could that have confused things?
Test results
Download speed achieved during the test was - 15.4 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12.77 Mbps-15.97 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 15.97 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.41Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-May-14 03:26:43
Print Post

Re: still a problem?

[re: barrymcmahon] [link to this post]

If he was a broadband engineer and not just a telephone engineer the last thing the BT guy should have done after finishing any needed repairs was to reset your profile. He should then have confirmed that your line was working as it should which it doesn't sound like he has.

I had a BT BB engineer out a while ago and the last thing he did after doing the needed repairs to a few dodgy connections between me and the cabinet was to remotely reset my profile and after confirming the reset had gone through get me to run a speed test using my preferred test method. In my case a monitored download from a site that I know can handle FTTC I2 speeds up and down 24/7. Only then did he sign off on the job and leave.

If he wasn't a broadband engineer then you need to contact support again and at least get them to reset your profile to see if your line is now OK for Infinity and not stuck on the wrong profile due to the restarts you mention.

Edited by jcym (Tue 27-May-14 03:27:21)

(regular) Tue 27-May-14 10:54:46
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

No he was just a telephone engineer and did none of that he just fixed the phone and checked that and the broadband was working.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Tue 27-May-14 12:07:20
Print Post

phoned BT and they agreed the speed was low and they would refer that to the network team to sort out and it will take 3 or so days to sort it out
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-May-14 21:07:27
Print Post

Hopefully just a profile reset is needed to allow it to find its stable level and to give you the speed you were getting pre line fault.
(regular) Thu 29-May-14 09:30:13
Print Post

Just had a BT engineer here.
Yesterday BT phoned me and the nice Indian lady told me an engineer had been booked but would not come to the house. I told her what I thought the problem was and she said the engineer would sort it out at the exchange.
This morning nice BT man turned up at my house and while having a cup of tea tested everything and agreed it seemed to be an IP profile reset. He did that and the speed went straight back to 46 mb from 15 mb.
He told me he had driven 45 minutes for this appointment (passing five more BT vans as he did so and they are meant to give him the nearest job) and it was a simple thing that they should have done at the office but said if it was not in their script they just booked an engineer. We both agreed it was a waste to send him but against that I was happy to have my system checked out by an expert and he was happy to have a nice easy job to start the day with!
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-May-14 10:45:37
Print Post

Glad you're sorted, helps if you get a good engineer who knows his stuff and doesn't need to BS you, mine also knew his stuff and fixed my actual connection problem in fairly short order. Unfortunately, the call centre staff have to work to a pretty [censored] useless script. For if you ask them for a profile reset they will insist that it is not possible to do this remotely and so just can't be done at whatever level of support you talk to. Yet that is exactly what the engineer will do from your house using his mobile connected toughbook. The only advantage actually having him there is if there are problems with the line itself or maybe your wiring.
(regular) Thu 29-May-14 12:16:50
Print Post

Thanks for your help
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 29-May-14 22:25:43
Print Post

I seem to remember this being discussed a year or so ago wrt to BT Retail support. The explanation waffle put out by them was that an engineer was needed to make sure there wasn't an on-going fault causing the low IP Profile.

Considering a quick remote fix stands a chance, surely that should be the first choice, with an engineer only needed if the problem recurs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 29-May-14 22:26:17)

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-May-14 01:21:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I agree with you. I mean I can understand not giving the capability to the first support level but once you have gone past them, one Profile Reset and see what happens. Problem persists or repeats and is obvious, from the speed, that it is not just a noise issue of some kind, especially if the line has been at a much better speed for a relatively long time before that, and then you can send out an engineer and I would have thought that much cheaper for them. BTW, when I first joined BT last summer during some of the bad weather when BT had some problems my profile was knocked a few times maybe 6'7 weeks apart and going through their online support form and explaining the problem, twice they reset the profile remotely within three or four days and everything came good until a happened again maybe 6 or so weeks later.

However, the third time I had a real plonker who just flat out insisted that it just wasn't possible to remotely reset a profile and when I told him that I had already had it done twice in the past four months or so, he then just refused to do it and insisted that I would just have to put up with it. I kept on and on and eventually got through to the next level of support and met roughly the same intransigence and it was only when I threatened them with the OFT that they finally reset it remotely again the next day

It then sort of stayed OK until it started deteriorating a few months later and then dropping out for short periods and reconnecting when in the end my upload speed had dropped to under I1 figures and my download speed was about 60% of what it should have been and it was fairly obvious to anyone with a clue that a fault was developing somewhere. However, going through the mains telephone support again proved next to impossible and in the end I got so fed up dealing with clowns that I got the the Newcastle team involved by emailing the CEO.

Fair play, once they got involved, they immediately said themselves that it was obvious there was a fault, sent out the engineer I mentioned previously, who really was good. He fixed a few dodgy connectors, reset my profile and watched while I ran a few speed tests using my preferred method before asking if I was happy and he went on his merry way. Also, because it happened just before a double bank holiday and due to the delays caused by the incompetence of the support staff I talked to, another couple of bad days were added to the total time without a decent connection, I got a sweet deal from BT in compensation, fair play. I effectively get the next 18 months of I2 at half price so I can't complain at that.

Plus, apart from a little bit up and down the first few days after the repair, my connection has now settled at the expected, for my line, of ~72 down and 19-20 up and is pretty close to rock solid 24/7. When it works properly, I2 is a great product. Just such a shame about the telephone support staff and their nonsensical scripts.
  Print Thread

Jump to