User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-May-14 12:32:52
Print Post

Two step verification

[link to this post]

It seems that BT (or at least the Yahoo part) has on-going issues with users' passwords being hacked. I had an email from a good friend recently who was stuck in Rome and needed funds to be sent urgently (Yeah, right!). I have a Microsoft account which texts me an access code when I log on. I have to enter this as a second step before I can get to my mail. Just wondering why BT can't offer this as an option.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 6GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
(Virgin 100Mbs as backup)
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-May-14 13:21:43
Print Post

Re: Two step verification

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Are you sure the BT email account was hacked?

It is quite possible the spammer just got a list of email addresses and spoofed them. This can be done very easily and requires no access to the account itself.

EDIT to add: Just thought that as you received the email from the friend it is likely their address book is compromised. However, it is just as likely that this is via a virus/malware on their own PC harvesting the address book rather than the BT account itself.

Edited by ian72 (Tue 27-May-14 13:22:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-May-14 13:43:59
Print Post

Re: Two step verification

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Also examining the email header can reveal a different source from the one shown in the normally viewed email.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to