User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User uggy
(newbie) Tue 03-Jun-14 12:05:44
Print Post

BT INFINITY

[link to this post]

I am sorry to ask for advice as I am sure you all have worse problems than me. I do fairly regular speed tests on my machine as I have loads of trouble with BT in the past. I use
OOKLAA SPEED TEST as well as Think broadband. I have sent a months reading to BT.
This always seems to go not to the UK and I ask Please,Please E-Mail not telephone a reply.AS I am disables and I am always asked to open the case which I am incapable of lifting on my own I need to have someone to help and a phone call saying open the case please is no good at all. I paid a lot of money for my machine and I wanted wireless not a cable connected to the rear of the machine.

All I get from BT not uk is please connect the cable to your computer. The phone connection is about12 feet from my machine with nothing other than fresh air in between. What I get is this.I switch on let the machine run for a short while then run the speed check. I pay for 37 and get about 2.5 I send the sheet to BT they then Phone and say please connect the cable then we go the dance about I can't lift the machine and I get told the following.

You would be better buying a long cable and connect this from your router to your computer. I can't see the point in selling or saying we have wireless if it does not work. The Cabinet for the fibre optic is less than 100 meters from my block of flats. I do know about the distance of the cables but it can't be that far.Is there a way to send my readings to someone at Think Broadband who would be kind enough to read and advise please?
I am also sorry about my bad grammar and even worse spelling. Perhaps someone would tell me where the spell checker is. Thank you all for your time and patience.
UGGY
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Tue 03-Jun-14 12:51:58
Print Post

Re: BT INFINITY

[re: uggy] [link to this post]

I think the reason for BT wanting you to connect a cable is to rule out a problem with the wireless connection.
I don't think it's intended as a long term solution but just for test purposes.
Once you get the same speed results using a cable they can proceed with other troubleshooting ideas.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jun-14 13:13:17
Print Post

You don't say what speeds you are actually getting.

Also, what speeds were estimated when you signed up? You are probably on an "up to" speed package and if you have a long phone line it may be physically impossible to get the top of the up to speed.

The BT checker will hopefully tell you what sort of speeds could be expected on your line.

Also, worth doing a BT Speedtest and once it is finished select the "Advanced diagnostics" which then should hopefully tell you the IP profile which also may give some pointers as to whether there is something wrong.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Jun-14 15:20:55
Print Post

As has already been said, while it might be difficult for you because of your disability, they are asking you to use a cable to see if the problem is the WiFi or a more general one. For If you get good speed with a wired connection then the problem lies on the WiFi side of things. On the other hand, if the speed is roughly the same whether wired or WiFi then there is a more general problem as you will have then eliminated the WiFi as the problem. Without trying to eliminate, or not, the WiFi as a possible problem first, you are both just wasting each other's time and energy.

Solving problems like this is a one step at a time process, where you start with the most likely cause first, often the WiFi. Whether because your room is a WiFi black hole or another user is interfering or because of an actual WiFi fault in the router or your PC.

If, for sake of argument, we assume the problem is the WiFi, you can test for a WiFi black hole by moving the router around the room and see if you get significant differences in speed depending on location. You might be be surprised how little you have to move an unit, whether the router or the PC, sometimes to see real significant differences in throughput. You can test for interference by trying different channels.

If you don't see any difference with the above checks then it would look likely a WiFi problem and you would need either another known good router or another known good machine, perhaps a friend with a laptop, to see whether the problem is the router or the PC.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by jcym (Wed 04-Jun-14 00:03:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Jun-14 20:17:57
Print Post

In terms of looking at speed test results, just post the URL from the results page, it is designed to be shared.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to