User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(experienced) Mon 09-Jun-14 11:42:02
Print Post

Free BT Youview box - really?

[link to this post]

I received a small letter/advert from BT saying that I would be getting a free BT YouView+ box (or something to that wordings).

But it was not clear if I will have to pay for it, or any catches? I know I will have to pay £5 if I want to see the other channels, but I'm not that bothered.

Anyone?

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Jun-14 11:49:16
Print Post

Re: Free BT Youview box - really?

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Some TalkTalk customers have been getting free ones, if the sending of it is totally unsolicited and no conditions like extra contract attached then feel free to enjoy a new box.

Probably they have a large stock, and enough people pay for the extra channels to make it worth while sending them out as a loyalty bonus.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Jun-14 12:04:21
Print Post

Last time BT offered me a free Youview box, they wanted £50 to activate it. When I pointed out that wasn't free, they disagreed.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jun-14 14:14:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by hypertony:
I know I will have to pay £5 if I want to see the other channels
That is the "catch" then. It is an easy enough deal to understand.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User hagrid
(member) Mon 09-Jun-14 14:54:23
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

If you open the leaflet out you can see what your £5 a month gives you plus in the middle what you get free for 6 months and then costs you a further £2 a month and then lastly the free BT sport but look at the small print below the Add BT TV from only £5 a month and it states £35 activation charge applies.

Edited by hagrid (Mon 09-Jun-14 15:00:08)

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Thu 12-Jun-14 08:54:51
Print Post

[re: hagrid] [link to this post]

What's in these boxes?
In other words can they be scrapped for parts such as a hard drive or whatever.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Jun-14 08:57:54
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

What's the point? You have to pay £5 per month for that privilege.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Thu 12-Jun-14 09:04:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I thought from the original post they were just sending out the boxes on the chance you will subscribe.
You didn't have to sub first.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Jun-14 13:47:41
Print Post

Check out The Legal Stuff at the bottom of this page http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/co...

Essential TV: £35 activation for new TV customers. New and existing customers, signing up to BT TV for 12 months, pay £5 a month for BT TV Essential. You'll get a YouView box (unless you're taking Sky Sports with Infinity), but if you stop your service in the first year we will charge you up to £299.

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Jun-14 13:49:09
Print Post

Technically, as they are unsolicited goods you can just keep them. But, if you want to cover yourself, contact BT and tell them that as they were unsolicited goods if they don't arrange pickup or return postage within 14 days you are going to bin them or consider them a gift as per the law on unsolicited goods.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consu...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to