User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NVB
(member) Tue 10-Jun-14 08:50:53
Print Post

Bt Infinity contract ends soon. Need advice.

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, I've been with BT Infinity for ages and my present contract ends in July. I've no intention of leaving BT Infinity, but someone suggested I should ask for a MAC code and then haggle. I'm very bad at this, I've no previous experience. How do I haggle, what should I ask for that's reasonable or what if I ask for my MAC and they give it to me. It's all rather embarrassing, anyway this is what I pay at the moment, I don't make calls because my mobile is cheaper than my BT landline, I'm currently paying around £43 pm for Infinity + phone line.

Line Rental 4 May-3 Aug 14 £ 47.97
Calling Plan Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan
This is the cost of your Line rental at £15.99 a month, charged in advance

Broadband BT Infinity Option 2
Broadband and Calls 4 May-3 Aug 14 £ 83.01
This is the cost of your Package at £27.67 a month, charged in advance

Edited by NVB (Tue 10-Jun-14 09:05:43)

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jun-14 09:04:19
Print Post

Re: Bt Infinity contract ends soon. Need advice.

[re: NVB] [link to this post]

Look up what others are offering for similar packages, e.g. SKY, Talk Talk etc. as a bargaining chip, Then just ask them outright what is it worth to keep you as a customer as you an get xyz at such and such. Worst they can do is say nothing at which point ask for your MAC to see if that triggers any offers. Remember, just because you ask for a MAC doesn't mean you have to use it and asking for one doesn't automatically mean that you have given BT actual notice to leave.

Edited for typos.

Edited by jcym (Tue 10-Jun-14 09:05:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Jun-14 09:45:35
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Remember getting a retention offer can also mean increasing length of contract

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NVB
(member) Tue 10-Jun-14 10:14:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes, what usually happens is BT will offer me something, the last offer was up to 20 mbit upload speeds, and then extend my contract, I'm ok with that as I've no real intention of leaving, having said that after a quick check I see that Plusnet are offering exactly what I'm getting now but it's £7.00 pm cheaper
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jun-14 11:54:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Remember getting a retention offer can also mean increasing length of contract

True, but usually they won't offer something without the quid pro quo of a new contract. All depends what the OP is after.
Standard User NVB
(member) Tue 10-Jun-14 12:21:28
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

well it's very interesting, I requested my MAC code via their webpage about an hour ago, and they just called me, very polite woman said she would email me the code but was there anything BT could do etc, etc.

long story short was I told her I would be £7:00 per month better off going with Plusnet for an identical service and also that as a new Plusnet customer the first 6 months broadband were at a discounted price worth £60, she said we can put you on unlimited anytime calls package, so then I asked her for 12 months extra HD channels valued at £36 against the £60 saving I would get with Plusnet she offered 3 months Extra HD channels, would not do 12 months, which is where I've left things. My code is on the way, I will try them again when it arrives.

Edited by NVB (Tue 10-Jun-14 12:33:43)

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Jun-14 20:23:08
Print Post

Well sometimes it is necessary to switch if you want the best deal possible.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Jun-14 18:19:20
Print Post

so, you have started to learn to haggle smile . Ask for the moon, get the stars and learn not to be offended if you get nothing. Most of the time you will get some form of deal.

I must learn to ask for a different petrol price once I have filled up. Wonder what they would do?

IanD
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Jun-14 20:31:30
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Too true, it is always worth asking for just about anything you are buying. When I buy locally and I am not in a hurry I always ask for a discount or throw in some extras and invariably get at least a 5% to 10% discount or value in extras or combination of both. A lot of shops will allow their salespeople a certain discretion to a few percent or a few small extras and will only have to ask his manager, or at least go through the motions, for a bigger requested discount, so always ask. Also, look for local stores, even local stores of the big boys such as PC World, that advertise price matching. E.g. in PCWorld I have had discounts due to price matching against online retailers with a further cash or goods discount on top, especially on goods they are trying to shift..
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jun-14 10:18:21
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I think you would have to haggle your petrol price before filling up as once you have started filling up I believe you will have implicitly entered a contract to purchase at the advertised price. Not as if you could legally return the petrol as they wouldn't accept it as it would be difficult to unmix it from the petrol that was already in the tank.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to