User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 16-Jun-14 10:30:58
Print Post

Not happy with Infinity service.

[link to this post]

So I posted a question a couple of months back, with some teething issues when newly connecting to their service. The issue is very intermittent, which makes it hard to diagnose. Essentially, the broadband kept on disconnecting when we received a phone call. This was suspected to be a dodgy install/a star wiring issue. Anyhow, the problem magically disappeared before I was able to escalate it. Two months on, the problem seems to be back with a vengeance.

I'm also getting a fair amount of crackling on the phone line with the BT quiet line test. This is even the case with the interstitial plate (http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/) removed, with solely the phone line connected to the test socket - which would suggest a fault with the phone line? However, even this is intermittent. One moment it can be cracking away quite loudly, another, all seems fine, with a few cracks barely audible every hour and then. Advice anybody?

Who do I escalate this with?

Especially given the intermittency, and how it can sometimes be difficult to reproduce (ie the phone doesn't always disconnect the service). I don't want to call them out and then get charged when they don't find a fault.

It seems to be generally worse on the extensions, with all the faceplates connected. They may try and blame it on the internal wiring. My point is, surely they should have provided a workable service when they came around and installed it, dodgy internal wiring or not? Who is culpable for the internal wiring in this case? Especially given two months has passed since I was connected?

My upload speed is a bit rubbish. Can this viably be improved?

Router stats:

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 01/04/14
4. Board version: BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:15:01
6. Data rate: 3609 / 24560
7. Maximum data rate: 3602 / 28588
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 28.1
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 25.1
11. Data sent/received: 1.5 GB / 350.6 MB

Stats from two months ago:

5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 07:48:15
6. Data rate: 4264 / 26435
7. Maximum data rate: 4249 / 30507
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 0.0 / 28.3
10. Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 25.3

Cheers

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 16-Jun-14 10:39:10
Print Post

Re: Not happy with Infinity service.

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

If it is voice related you need to report it as a voice fault - and don't mention broadband in the conversation. As it comes and goes you have to just keep trying and report it as soon as you detect it.

As for internal wiring - it is all your responsibility, BT is only responsible to the demarcation point, the master socket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 16-Jun-14 11:20:50
Print Post

Also try to record it.

As MHC has stated, report it as a VOICE/PHONE Fault, avoiding mentioning Broadband in any shape or form.

OPENREACH's responsibilities are legislated as being for the Voice Services only.

Broadband is regarded as being an ancillary.

------------------------

Going back to long before Broadband etc, I manage to get my line switched, by a combination of recording the problem; and very luckily, it occurred on one of the occasions that I was reporting it.

The operator heard it, lasting about 10 seconds; and stated that she had been deafened by it.

I played the recording back to the BT Area Marketing Manager, getting the Line Switch including Number Switch done in 4 days including Sat & Sun, instead of the original proposal of 8 days.

Edited by eckiedoo (Mon 16-Jun-14 11:25:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jun-14 11:41:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Surely the OP would stand a better chance in chasing the broadband side of things ? The chances of him getting stuck with a bill for a visit for a CDTA fault are very high. Getting an FTTC trained engineer to look at it is going to result in someone visiting who understands that the intermittent noisy fault is the base of the problem, they will be happy to do a DLM reset once complete as well.

Standard User pob
(member) Tue 17-Jun-14 14:12:12
Print Post

I've experienced similar issues in the past -
the crackling on the line turned out to be the wire from the telegraph pole to the house blowing in the wind. This was obviously intermittent as it wasn't always windy enough to move the wire sufficiently to cause the noise. This was reported to BT as a Voice fault - 3 days later they installed a new wire from the pole. ADSL sync has been solid ever since and the crackling disappeared.

I've also had an FTTC connection loose sync when the phone rings. Turned out to be a bad connection in one of the cabinets. Once the engineer re-did the connections this problem also disappeared.

Hope that helps
  Print Thread

Jump to