User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Wed 02-Jul-14 13:12:54
Print Post

Should have been given HH5?

[link to this post]

My father-in-law has recently moved house from an FTTC area to ADSL2 only area. He took his home hub 3 with him, the new house has thicker walls and the wifi range isn't as good. Does anyone know if BT would be willing to send out a home hub 5 to see if that's any better?
Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Wed 02-Jul-14 14:48:43
Print Post

Re: Should have been given HH5?

[re: beardedwonder] [link to this post]

I'd guess there would be a cost for a new HH5

how about powerline adaptors, or something else?

http://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products...

I ended up getting the house wired with ethernet (did it ourselves on the cheap)

Rick Dawson

BT
DJ'ing live Trance with video:
Sundays 9pm-1am Monday GMT on www.ClubBeats.tv/trance and www.RickDawson.co.uk/live
Wednesdays 8-10pm GMT www.livegrooves.com
My website www.richarddawson.co.uk
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Jul-14 14:57:14
Print Post

[re: richarddawson] [link to this post]

Or a wi-fi repeater or several?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 15:01:17
Print Post

If the issue is thickness of walls then a new wireless router will probably have same issue.

HH5 with more antenna can give better coverage as signal has more ways to leave a room, but when its good thick walls that makes little difference.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User beardedwonder
(regular) Thu 03-Jul-14 11:37:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. I think I will look at running some outdoor CAT5e around the house to the opposite corner from the router. I've never really had good luck with powerline adapters.
Standard User richarddawson
(experienced) Mon 07-Jul-14 23:05:51
Print Post

no connections are outside... I've had success using regular cat 5 cable going out a drilled hole in the wall and down the back of the house, and into cellar through an air brick to a switch, which goes to each room downstairs

(my phone line comes in upstaairs)

Rick Dawson

BT
DJ'ing live Trance with video:
Sundays 9pm-1am Monday GMT on www.ClubBeats.tv/trance and www.RickDawson.co.uk/live
Wednesdays 8-10pm GMT www.livegrooves.com
My website www.richarddawson.co.uk
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 11:17:55
Print Post

Hi

Take advantage of the 14 day distance selling regulations, and give a reputable OEM of powerline adapter another try (if they dont work you can send them back), i persevered with WiFi for far too long whereas the powerline adapters (i have tried three different makes) just work. Not ideal for streaming uncompressed HD, but i get a good 10 MB/s (megabytes) from them in my rewired Victorian house.

Speaking from experience, wiring a house with network cable is no small undertaking.

BTBroadbandInfinity 2, sync'd at 80 down 20 up, BT Hume Hub 3, Cat6 wired home, Core 2 Duo E6850 3 GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, 8 GB, 10 HDD=3.3TB

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to