User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 11:27:14
Print Post

Avoiding Using BT's Rubbish DNS Servers

[link to this post]

Am I correct in thinking that you are prevented from changing the DNS servers on any BT Home Hub routers?

Is there any other way around it (other than buying a new router obviously)? Surely changing the DNS servers on devices network settings will prevent machines talking to each other on my LAN?

BTBroadbandInfinity 2, sync'd at 80 down 20 up, BT Hume Hub 5, Cat6 wired home, Core 2 i5-3750K 3.4 GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, 8 GB, 12 HDD=4.2TB

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by mcompton69 (Thu 10-Jul-14 18:10:30)

Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 11:33:38
Print Post

Re: Avoiding Using BT's [censored] DNS Servers

[re: mcompton69] [link to this post]

Oops, i didnt realise cr@p was a bad word on here, sorry.

BT Broadband Infinity 2, Sync'd at 80 down 20 up, BT Hume Hub 5, Cat 6 wired home, Core 2 i5-3750K 3.4 GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, 8 GB, 12 HDD=4.2TB

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 10-Jul-14 12:50:00
Print Post

DNS isn't used generally on a LAN, it's just for Internets.

I suspect BT want to restrict you to their broken DNS servers so they can implement their Parental Controls - amongst other things like Phorm.

Best way round it is to get your own router.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jul-14 12:59:10
Print Post

You're also not supposed to do things to get around the censor (ie using @ instead of a). It is just as bad a word when you put it that way.

As far as DNS you would have to change it on individual PCs but the PCs will still see each other on a local network.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jul-14 13:01:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

BT turned off Phorm a long time back (due to backlash). The techniques used to do things like Phorm are also unlikely to use the DNS servers as they will use network interception rather than rely on address lookup. I suspect their parental controls aren't reliant on using their DNS either (DNS servers are usually separate from web filtering servers).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Jul-14 13:43:56
Print Post

Using specific DNS on a machine will not break LAN stuff, Windows does that all on its own.

Mention DNS to 99.9% of BT customers and you will get a blank look, hence why no real desire to make it changeable.

In essence if you know what DNS is and what pings are then its time to get your own router hardware or change provider.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-Jul-14 14:35:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Using specific DNS on a machine will not break LAN stuff, Windows does that all on its own.

Did you mean that the way I read it? Ie, Windows will break LAN stuff all on its own?

I can't remember but Windows probably still uses the WINS protocol for internal networks and doesn't need DNS for peer to peer networking. Most home networks didn't have any DNS server access before the advent of t'internet.
Standard User mcompton69
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 18:10:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
In essence if you know what DNS is and what pings are then its time to get your own router hardware or change provider.

Replacing my HH5 breaks BT IP TV (BT Vision), but perhaps there is a way to remedy that (i think it is to do with compatibility with a multicast protocol?)...

BT Broadband Infinity 2, Sync'd at 80 down 20 up, BT Hume Hub 5, Cat 6 wired home, Core 2 i5-3750K 3.4 GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, 8 GB, 12 HDD=4.2TB

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Jul-14 18:20:04
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Was a too subtle moan at the issues people sometimes have with file sharing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Jul-14 18:39:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I can't remember but Windows probably still uses the WINS protocol for internal networks and doesn't need DNS for peer to peer networking. Most home networks didn't have any DNS server access before the advent of t'internet.

Windows will use broadcasts by default, same on 95 through to Windows 8.1 - this works for home networks as people don't have routers. WINS is not needed as this is for broadcasts over routers. (ie a kludge!).

However once you get into real modern windows networking (e.g. corporate) then Windows DOES use DNS - either its own, or BIND on a *NIX machine - broadcasts can be disabled and WINS is never installed unless you have NT 4 SP2 or earlier still.

Changing to any ISP DNS on a home network works because home networks use short names, such as ping familyroom instead of ping familyroom.myhome.local - and most home users expect to be able to browse or just enter a UNC such as \\familyroom\printer

One way to fix the issue would be to set up your own DNS / DHCP server and then you can turn off DHCP on the HomeHub. However its often easier to buy a decent router and put the HH in a cupboard for when you need to call BT support.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to