User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 4Way
(member) Sun 13-Jul-14 17:58:24
Print Post

BT Mail Issue

[link to this post]

There is an issue with BT emails which is ongoing. The reps on the btcare forum just say they are working on it but are not giving timescales. It is hard to gauge how widewpread it is but seems to be affecting a lot of areas from the complaints.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Jul-14 20:53:13
Print Post

Re: BT Mail Issue

[re: 4Way] [link to this post]

You don't say what the issue is so I've no idea whether a friend's problem is similar.

I've just had a call from a friend who has just changed to the new BT email and hates the format. He tells me there's blank areas of the screen, emails that don't seem to want to delete, etc. I don't use BT internet or BT email so can't directly see for myself.

I'm going round there Wednesday evening to have a look. It may be something simple in settings somewhere, I really don't know.

From this description, albeit inadequate, are there any bells ringing with those here who are using, or trying to use, the new BT email?

Is there an 'idiot's guide' to give me some idea of what it looks like, how to set it up, whatever?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 13-Jul-14 21:05:02
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I believe the issue OP is referring to is the fact BT Mail is down.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Is-it-me-or-is-the...

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sun 13-Jul-14 22:58:21
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

We have not noticed any problems, but we download the e-mails. Have had plenty all day and evening.

can get in online too.
Standard User AkAnic
(member) Mon 14-Jul-14 08:34:56
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

had an email this morn
We're very sorry that you were unable to access BT Mail throughout Sunday 13th July, and for the inconvenience caused.
Our email partner Openwave Messaging advised us of a problem on Saturday night with migration, which meant that a minority of our customers lost their access for several hours.
As part of the recovery, we have temporarily restored your service to BT Yahoo! mail. We will move you back to BT Mail in the next few days.
Your login details and settings should all remain the same, so you don't need to take any further actions.

Openwave Messaging have advised us that some customers may have lost emails from the last 6 days, which will now not be in mail folders or inbox.
If you have not been able to find recent emails in your inbox or folders, you can let us know here and we will contact you: BTMessaging@bt.com
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jul-14 12:20:42
Print Post

[re: AkAnic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AkAnic:
Openwave Messaging have advised us that some customers may have lost emails from the last 6 days, which will now not be in mail folders or inbox.

Ouch.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jul-14 20:09:58
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by AkAnic:

Ouch.

Its better when ISPs don't try and run email services - there are enough free ones that don't tie you to an ISP.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Jul-14 23:00:26
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I didn't receive that email. Is it known to be amongst those sent that are affected?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User 4Way
(member) Mon 14-Jul-14 23:47:28
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

I don't know if it was just sent to the affected people or everyone. My BT email was off from late Saturday Night until Monday - several hours in BT speak, and I came home tonight to the message from BT along with hopefully all the rest of my delayed emails

It's nice to see BT spin the email "which meant that a minority of our customers lost their access for several hours."

compared to their statement to the BBC
" spokesman told the BBC that the total number of people affected was "in the tens of thousands".

Whilst I appreciate anything less than 50% of their customer base is a minority, tens of thousands of inaccessible email accounts is not to be dismissed lightly.

Things do go wrong but the lack of updates from BT during the problem was an example of how not to do things.

Never mind, I'm sure they will get it right next time.
Standard User Kronos2001
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Jul-14 03:03:37
Print Post

[re: 4Way] [link to this post]

Well if the figure of 6.96 million customers is correct then "tens of thousands" is quite a lot less than 50%, somewhere around 1% in fact.

They should still keep customers updated though.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to