User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User missinglink
(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 17:19:34
Print Post

Tactics when dealing with fault.

[link to this post]

Evening all. I would be grateful for advise on dealing with BT. I have an intermittently noisy phone line. The noise is not too bad and only occaisional, certainly no problem for voice calls. However, it has driven my previously rock solid 38mb ip profile down 9mb.
I have reported the fault with no mention of broadband and the indian script monkey heard the noise. He reported the fault and this morning BT say they have carried out several tests and found no fault. Not surprising as you need to listen for more than 10-15 secs to catch the noise.
I anticipate that on thursday BT will close the case as no fault found. If the fault is still there I will report it again.
My question is how long should I continue before reporting a broadband fault. I am concerned that if openreach say no fault on line I will be told that is the max your line will handle and I will be stuck. One further question. If the line is repaired will the ip profile automatically climb or will i need to request a reset.
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Jul-14 20:08:29
Print Post

Re: Tactics when dealing with fault.

[re: missinglink] [link to this post]

You need lots of patience, believe me, and you just have keep on at them.

As to your profile, it depends, I have had my profile reset on its own while at other times I have had to insist it be reset. So if after eventually getting your line problem fixed it doesn't climb after a few days ask to have it reset though again, it can take a lot of persistence. I recently had some random problem that caused a big drop in speed (happens every few months mainly whenever BT has some major network problem for any reason) and it took three weeks to get it sorted..
(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 21:09:46
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

JCYM Thanks for your reply. I have just read my post again it should say ip profile down to 9mb, not down 9mb.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 21:55:44
Print Post

You can edit it up to 12 hours after original posting smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:07:46
Print Post

Me, I'd say give up going the voice route. If the sync is as low as you say, then it'll be showing to the Broadband folk as such (they'll be able to see what the estimate is/was). You are looking for a Fibre Boost visit, or maybe a SFVA appointment. The other big plus being that once the engineer has found and cleared the issue causing the current low sync they'll do a DLM reset then and there.

(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 23:37:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Zarjaz. I was wondering about going that route. I can show my tbb speedtest results showing consistant 35-37mbs down. And, if I get an engineer visit I can prove the noise. By using the record ap on my smart phone and holding it against the hand set I have a reasonable recording of a womans voice saying "quiet line test" with the snap crackle and pop of the noise on top. I may be being pessimistic, the last time I had noise on the line BT fixed it in 24 hrs, but the noise was worse than this time .
  Print Thread

Jump to