User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Aug-14 18:36:33
Print Post

A quicky - noise on the line

[link to this post]

So I've had ongoing problems for a while now. But haven't bothered reporting them because I couldn't reproduce them on the test socket. Now I'm getting noise on my phone line, even on the test socket (quiet line test).

I just reported a fault using BT's phone fault checker

and get:

Results of line test
We cannot detect a problem with this line.
It may be caused by a faulty phone or equipment.

There is no equipment connected when I do this except the telephone, the interstitial faceplate is removed. Get a fuzzy, type of interference sound. Naturally, everytime someone rings, my broadband gets disconnected. I'm connected at 16/1mbit. was 30/5mbit when I signed up.

Suggestions?

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Aug-14 19:13:06
Print Post

Re: A quicky - noise on the line

[re: imbsuk] [link to this post]

Is phone noisy at test socket when modem is unplugged from line and switched off and no microfilters used?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sat 09-Aug-14 07:45:38
Print Post

Ring them and report a phone fault. Don't mention broadband and hopefully they'll get an engineer out.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rosspaul
(member) Sun 10-Aug-14 11:29:32
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

took them 2 years (no exaggeration) & umpteen visits to cure mine.
Engineers always said that they cannot trace it if fault is not apparent at the time of their visit which i could understand
Finally found pair touching another on back end of board in cabinet causing a high voltage so they said

AOL/TheFreeDotNet/RedHotAnt/Ezesurf/Pipex/Madasafish/O2 Premium/ BT Infinity 2
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Aug-14 15:02:57
Print Post

If you have done a line test, then get them to do one they will be unable to detect the fault - because your line test will clear the fault, temporarily.

A joint at the top of your pole is cracked and needs resoldering, or something has come loose in the cabinet.

If it is now happening reliably, insist they send an engineer (they will threaten you with a bill, since it costs them over £200 to send a an engineer so will do all they can to talk you out of it). As someone else said, describe it as a phone fault not broadband.

I have generally found that once an engineer turns up they are pretty helpful. The key is to get someone a bit more local than Calcutta on the case smile

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Sun 10-Aug-14 15:40:48
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian_c:
A joint at the top of your pole is cracked and needs resoldering, ...

Possibly a joint at the pole but they're not soldered!
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Aug-14 18:10:19
Print Post

Sorry, I don't understand that first bit. I went through BT's webpage thing, and as soon as I clicked submit, for the drop down box which was something like 'noisy' fault, I got the message back that everything was a-okay. How could they have known that so quickly?

Anyway, the issue I have is obvious. Disconnecting the internal wiring definitely helps alleviate the noise on the line to some degree. When I do that, it still crackles, but intermittantly, and more faintly. The issue is intermittant in general. So how grave does the fault have to be before I get them to take me seriously, and not be directed from South Waziristan to, if I am lucky, Calcutta. They will just say, it's fine, because as you say, it's in their interests to do so. What I need, is more evidence, that the broadband is affected, for example, but you guys are telling me to not do that. So the evidence I have, is that there is some noise on the phone line, which is harldy audible when everything is disconnected. Wont they just say, that's fine, a bit of noise is normal?

Now I don't want to be liable for a 130£ bill, because frankly, I don't have that kind of money to fritter away. What will they do if they find no fault, and deem it to be mostly an internal wiring problem. Would they at least fix the internal wiring, given the sum?

As for Andrew's question, yes, the problem still manifests itself when everything is disconnected.

So really, to summarise, my problem is threefold.

How do I get them to take me seriously.
If their test shows no issue, then, is that crackling indeed fine?
The internal wiring is obviously a problem. Will they fix that in any case? How much is it to get that sorted in general?

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User imbsuk
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Aug-14 18:19:07
Print Post

"Connection time: 0 days, 00:36:09
Downstream: 7.71 Mbps
Upstream: 799 Kbps"

Nice, definitely worth the 23£ per month...

____
be*
be* <-- on test socket!
Standard User rosspaul
(member) Sun 10-Aug-14 19:10:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by imbsuk:
Now I don't want to be liable for a 130£ bill, because frankly, I don't have that kind of money to fritter away. What will they do if they find no fault, and deem it to be mostly an internal wiring problem.

I had loads of visits and was never charged despite the warning they gave me each time an engineer was booked. You must stress to the engineers who visit that it is intermittent then they shouldn't charge you unless of course they prove its an internal wiring problem.

AOL/TheFreeDotNet/RedHotAnt/Ezesurf/Pipex/Madasafish/O2 Premium/ BT Infinity 2
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Aug-14 22:47:41
Print Post

A joint at the top of your pole is cracked and needs resoldering, or something has come loose in the cabinet.

Think about it logically, how the hell is an engineer going to be soldering at the top of a pole ???

You also seem to be forgetting all the other joints between the DP and the cabinet, not to mention the E-side and exchange terminations.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to