User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User missinglink
(newbie) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:09:54
Print Post

Bt responsibility

[link to this post]

It is usuall for BT to be responsible for the line up to the master socket. But, what if there is a junction box just inside the premises before the master socket. I have an intermittently noisy line that BT keep saying tests as OK. I have done over 100 quiet line tests (which I have logged) and about 50% test noisy. I am about to ask for an engineer visit and was wondering if the fault is traced to that J box will they say that is premises wiring and charge me for the visit. I would be grateful for the opinion of those in the know.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:44:25
Print Post

Re: Bt responsibility

[re: missinglink] [link to this post]

It would normally be considered part of the BT network so not likely to be an issue
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 13-Aug-14 11:46:29
Print Post

[re: missinglink] [link to this post]

The Master socket (NTE5) is the demarcation point, everything before that is BT responsibility and you should not touch/interfere with it and thus cannot be responsible for faults, unless you have interfered with it. The junction box is not relevant, and you are not alone, there are thousands of people with a junction box just inside the door that allows the internal wiring top be smaller in diameter and plain white.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User missinglink
(newbie) Wed 13-Aug-14 12:16:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you both for that.
Standard User rscott
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 08:44:54
Print Post

Not necessarily. BT now claim that if the line before the NTE5, and inside the property boundary, is damaged due to trees, damp, building work,etc . See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439... for more details.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Aug-14 09:09:44
Print Post

[re: rscott] [link to this post]

That is a different issue. It has always been the case that if a property owner/occupier caused damage to BT owned equipment then the cost of repair would be passed on. The equipment is still owned by BT and if it develops a fault - not damage then BT are responsible.

M H C

Standard User rscott
(member) Thu 14-Aug-14 09:12:28
Print Post

The example they give of 'damp' is slightly worrying. What if the damp is due to BT at some point not using the appropriate weatherproof connectors? Who decides who should pay...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 09:23:24
Print Post

In which case photo of the entry wire not meeting the standard to avoid this being a problem would be needed and you appeal charge and follow through to adjudication or civil action to recover it.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Aug-14 09:29:10
Print Post

Cannot see that one being legitimately charged - in most cases. A couple of possibilities could be: a badly leaking gutter that pours water onto an external box - the connectors are water resistant to a point but not suitable for near continual immersion; or if a new tumble drier is installed with the outlet just below the eaves connection box, steam/water vapour is vented and rises into the connection box which has bottom cable entry.

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to