User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MikeVybiral
(newbie) Sun 31-Aug-14 23:05:30
Print Post

BT Traffic Management Policy (Don't believe it!)

[link to this post]

BT makes a big play of its traffic management policy i.e. 'no speed restrictions at all' (see below) but don't believe it. After much time-wasting investigation (including hours of my time, at least 90 minutes on the phone, BT technical support taking control of my PC etc) by chance I found an IP Profile of 2Mb/s applied to my connection, i.e. about 1.7Mb/s in practice. When confronted BT apologised and restored the line to its normal about 7Mb/s within 24hrs. I'm still waiting for an explanation. Compensation of £8 has been offered!
Any advice? Is this deceit widespread or am I just unlucky?

"BT is very proud to say that none of our broadband packages have any speed restrictions at all. This even includes our older broadband packages which may have had speed restrictions in the past. So, if you're on any of our packages, you don't need to worry about us slowing you down, no matter how much you upload or download, even at peak times."
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 00:39:28
Print Post

Re: BT Traffic Management Policy (Don't believe it!)

[re: MikeVybiral] [link to this post]

More likely either their systems just screwed up and put you on a 2 Mbps profile or something like a bad burst of noise on your connection caused a large number of disconnects and knocked your profile right down. I know a number of people who have suffered either of the above.

As far as I am aware the only thing resembling traffic management BT does use, is QoS.if you have their online TV services. I.e. they reserve a certain amount of your bandwidth for the TV service when it is in use so as to give a seamless TV service. 2 Mbps or so IIRC.

BTW, there is no magic to finding out your profile. Just go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and after the initial speed test has run, click Advanced test.Though it can take a few attempts for it to go through. Part of the results will be your present profile.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 01-Sep-14 00:47:08
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Further diagnostics smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 01:13:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cheers Robert, that's the one, I couldn't remember the actual term off hand and couldn't be bothered to waste time running the test as BT access is slow enough at the best of times and life's just too short smile.
Standard User JimKirk363
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 02:44:54
Print Post

AOL UK used to do this before being sold off to Carphone warehouse.

They stated no restrictions yet friends of mine always stated if they had downloaded over 40gb in a month their line was restricted to 2mb for the rest of the month.

AMD FX-8320 X8, MSI 990FXA-GD80, 16GB DDR 3 Cosair Vengence 1600Mhz, 9351.1GB Hard Disk Space, 1GB ATI 260x OC PCI-E 16x Graphics, 850watt PSU.

Ex AOL Dialup 56k Customer....
Ex Freedom2Surf 512k and Ex Eclipse Internet 2mb Customer.

Virgin Media 152mb Cable.

Virgin Media R EVIL!!!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3385183799
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Sep-14 09:12:42
Print Post

[re: JimKirk363] [link to this post]

Not the same scenario at all.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MikeVybiral
(newbie) Mon 01-Sep-14 09:57:54
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

Thanks for comment(s).
From my point of view it's curious that in 90 minutes on the phone to a BT technical support person the IP Profile was not mentioned. In fact the guy insisted the problem was to do with poorly configured wifi, which he had corrected. This even though wifi had been switched off.
It was only later when I clicked 'further info' on the speedtest page the technician had left on screen that I found the IP Profile setting.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Mon 01-Sep-14 10:21:45
Print Post

Not nefarious ... I am pretty sure you can put it down to a combination of an overly complex and baroque server infrastructure managing BT's broadband, and incompetence on the part of their staff. With quite a few people on nearly 80Mbps connections hammering their BT broadband as hard as they can, anything BT could gain from cutting your connection from 7Mbps to 2Mps, or even systematically cutting such connections, would be insignificant to them.

I hope they didn't expect payment for that example of BT technical support.

--
BT Infinity 2, thinking of moving to PlusNet
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 13:49:37
Print Post

The problem is that often they will take your profile, if they are competent enough to even check it or to think of checking in the first place, as gospel. Thus if there is a problem it is automatically assumed that it must be your end unless you persist and have some idea what you are talking about. If you are unlucky enough to get such a rep, who obviously doesn't have a clue, then you can hear all kinds of waffle given as an excuse just to get rid of you.

But it is actually a combination of BT's system screwing up (or possibly a short term sever noise issue causing your profile to crash) and the incompetence of the reps rather than an actual deliberate attempt by BT to manage your speed.

For as Stephen above said, what would it gain them to knock 5 Mbps off you when it is people like me able to hammer the connection at 76/19 24/7 that would be the real issue if capacity was the problem. For fair play to BT, whatever other problems I have had with them in the past year or so, now hopefully fixed once and for all, I have only ever seen minimal contention issues on a very few occasions and usually mainly on the upload side. And I would notice as I use my connection a great deal taking full advantage of the upload and download speed available to me.
Standard User sweepdog
(committed) Mon 01-Sep-14 18:36:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by MikeVybiral:
Thanks for comment(s).
From my point of view it's curious that in 90 minutes on the phone to a BT technical support person the IP Profile was not mentioned. In fact the guy insisted the problem was to do with poorly configured wifi, which he had corrected. This even though wifi had been switched off.
It was only later when I clicked 'further info' on the speedtest page the technician had left on screen that I found the IP Profile setting.
Is it normal for BT to insist on taking remote control of your machine when they look at issues? They insisted on doing this when I couldn't work out how to set up an email address for my outgoing SMTP address (obviously the menu options for him were slightly different to me and insisted on having remote control access so he could set it up, which I politely declined once I saw the panel on the "my BT" page laugh). I fear they may want to do this on my computer when they come to look at the speed of my line issue, which is clearly a configuration setting at their end not mine, so I want to tell them to do one if I can laugh

--
BT Infinity 2 ordered, currently profiled at Infinity 1 though?!?
Ex Sky DOWN: 6.9MB UP: 0.65MB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to