User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ripcord
(committed) Tue 02-Sep-14 15:25:02
Print Post

Giving notice

[link to this post]

Hi Can anyone tell me if using the mac code counts as giving notice or do I have to do that separately?
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:12:11
Print Post

Re: Giving notice

[re: Ripcord] [link to this post]

Usually not, so safest to do it explicitly, otherwise you could still find your self being billed even after moving. After all you have up to thirty days to use the mac and you still don't have to use it then so from when would they consider notice to have been given. When you asked for it or when it was finally used? So you can see the problem of using the mac as notice and the advantage of doing it explicitly as there is less possibility of confusion then. Note I said less not none smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 16:53:06
Print Post

[re: Ripcord] [link to this post]

No, giving notice and using a MAC are separate events. However if you do use a MAC you only need to give 14 days notice instead of the usual 30.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Tue 02-Sep-14 17:48:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I got my BT Mac code yesterday and gave it to PlusNet.

I then rang BT today to make sure that they knew I was leaving (not just asking for the Mac and not using it).
I used the BT number mentioned in the email they sent with the Mac, 0800 731 6290: very quick reply by somebody with perfect English.
He said no need to explicitly tell BT I was transferring and ending BT contract, that would happen when PlusNet used the Mac to claim the line.

Other people have commented that you should never use the work 'cancel' as that can lead to BT completely cancelling the line: leaving you with reconnection charges and a new telephone number.

--
BT Infinity 2, moving to PlusNet (26th Sept if all goes well)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 02-Sep-14 18:42:25
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Yep, giving notice and cancelling are two very different things in BT parlance and I know a few people who have been caught out by it.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 02-Sep-14 19:51:26
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

Termination and cancellation are two very different things in anybody's parlance.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to