User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Sep-14 07:53:29
Print Post

HH5 speeds

[link to this post]

Interesting observation. I have just upgraded to the HH5 and was getting 58Mbs over ethernet. Tried a dual-band Netgear dongle and am getting 63 Mbs on 5GHz. So Ethernet is not always faster. (The line checker says that I should expect about 62 Mbs over ethernet). The 5GHz speed drops off though if I go into the next room, but not by much.
Moral of the story..... in the same room as the HH5, 5GHz wireless might be faster than Ethernet.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
HP Pavilion netbook Win8 8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
(Virgin 150Mbs as backup)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 11-Sep-14 09:00:10
Print Post

Re: HH5 speeds

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Wireless-AC may be faster still.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Sep-14 10:34:22
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Presumably the BT line checker gives the absolute maximum that I can expect to get. I'm 'up to 76Mbs' according to the adverts but I maxed out at about 58 with the HH3 and get about 5 more with the HH5. Quite happy, apart from the fact that my Virgin Ethernet gets 155Mbs!

8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Sep-14 11:46:21
Print Post

Which speed test?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:34:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Speedtest.net

8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:41:36
Print Post

Okay it may be a false burst reading rather than reality. Different ookla testers do different things in terms of the picking number to display sometimes. Wireless protocols can be a little more bursty too sometimes. So its not a clear cut wireless better than Ethernet, and I'd say something wrong configuration or hardware wise if that was the case.

We should the throughput graphs so you can see if things are burst or nice nailed to connection speed on our flash at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Sep-14 15:35:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Your tester shows the wifi speed and Ethernet as being virtually identical (63.5Mbs and 61Mbs).
So 5GHz is still the winner, although marginally. My cable has been around for years though and I'll try using the nice new shiny one that they sent with my HH5 to see if that makes a difference.

8GB RAM
IE11 and Live Mail
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
  Print Thread

Jump to