User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User B31
(regular) Sat 20-Sep-14 18:55:24
Print Post

BT BB usage checker removed

[link to this post]

BT have removed the broadband usage checker for anyone on unlimited tariffs

The FAQ states "We don't want our customers wasting time monitoring usage when there's no need to."

Clearly they don't want people to downgrade tariffs, or upgrade to infinity on a limited usage plan, and want to make it difficult for you to consider tariffs when changing suppliers...

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Sep-14 03:23:35
Print Post

Re: BT BB usage checker removed

[re: B31] [link to this post]

While perhaps not as convenient, though more versatile IMO, Install your own checker. One I have used in the past is the free app Networx, though there are others. It can separate internal from external network traffic allowing you to monitor external usage on all the machines on a network and sync and sum that external usage across all network machines with the app installed and set to sync. You can then check the external totals for the network from any pc with the app installed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 21-Sep-14 11:58:21
Print Post

[re: jcym] [link to this post]

What about TV streaming, iPad and Android tablet usage. Plus phones. Does it have Apps for them?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User B31
(regular) Sun 21-Sep-14 18:35:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yeah, i use a google chromecast, so I'd need something to monitor that too - as the phone hands over the stream to the chromecast.

I guess router stats would be the best option. Not sure what's available in the home hub.

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User jcym
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Sep-14 22:43:48
Print Post

Don't know as I haven't used it for a long time, don't bother on unlimited. But there are other apps where you can specify the protocol or program to monitor for usage. I used to use one a long time ago but it's so long that I can't remember its name off hand.
Standard User silka
(newbie) Mon 22-Sep-14 00:44:35
Print Post

Hi

You can monitor the router with Networx if the router supports snmp.
Just have to use Networx with Winpcap that can be downloaded from winpcap.org

Sil
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 22-Sep-14 00:53:41
Print Post

[re: silka] [link to this post]

Agreed, but SNMP in a domestic level router is not common. (That will be what the previous poster was trying to remember).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User _Resonance_
(regular) Mon 22-Sep-14 14:12:20
Print Post

[re: B31] [link to this post]

I noticed this as well. I liked to see what I was using, just out of interest. Oh well frown

BT Infinity 2
Standard User silka
(newbie) Mon 22-Sep-14 17:40:26
Print Post

The Billion 7800N supports it.
It works for me like a charm
Standard User GMGinger
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 09:22:38
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

I've just found the same - no Usage tracking allowed when you have BT Infinity Unlimited.

Since it used to work - it's not for any technical reason, so I can only presume it's purely to prevent you from knowing how much you use so you can't downgrade. It stinks!

I only upgraded from the limited service since my June / July usage was too high, I had wanted to keep an eye on it to know if that was just a one off or if our combined usage as a family was now over the 40GB cap.

I'm going to have a look around if there's any way to monitor a Homy Hub 5 usage for all my devices (laptop, tablets, phones, Console...).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to