User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User braiswick
(newbie) Mon 27-Oct-14 17:58:00
Print Post

Drops out every night

[link to this post]

I moved to Infinity after years of signal dropping out every day. It still drops out most evenings, about 9-10pm.

Today BT tell me they are increasing line rental charges...

Should I stay with this uncaring company?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 27-Oct-14 23:53:06
Print Post

Re: Drops out every night

[re: braiswick] [link to this post]

When did you move to Infinity, and do you just have the Home Hub and a dangly filter, or the Openreach modem with a VDSL2 filtered faceplate?

Changing ISP would probably make no difference. But we may be able to help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 27-Oct-14 23:54:17)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 08:43:48
Print Post

There are a lot of uncaring companies out there as others are now increasing their prices as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 28-Oct-14 08:59:35
Print Post

If it is dropping out at around the same time every evening then it is unlikely to be BT at fault and more likely a localised source of interference causing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User braiswick
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 09:19:10
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Another source is the answer that BT give me. My response is that I ask for a service from BT which is not provided. They know how to trace this 'unknown source' and I pay for their service, for that money they should give me support but they don't.

It's always excuses. I moved to Infinity because BT said it would solve my problem. It hasn't.

All I'm told is that they are increasing line rental charges - again! They are a national disgrace. No wonder they changed their name from British Telecom.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Oct-14 09:32:24
Print Post

How is an external noise source BTs fault? And how much money should BT spend looking for a noise source that is not of their making? Think you are being a little harsh on them - I am no fan of BT but in the end these services are such low cost that it is impossible for them to spend hours and hours of engineer time tracing every noise source - and it is also quite likely that they may be able to do nothing about it even if they find it.

You also have to consider that if it only happens between 9pm and 10pm then that is the only time an engineer would be likely to find it. So, how would you propose that they do that? Get engineers camped along the whole length of your line late evening to try and trace the source?
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 28-Oct-14 10:21:28
Print Post

With being generally within that one hour slot; and having gone on for " years of signal dropping out every day", suggests the possibility that it may be something within your own home; and if so, then it is your responsibility to trace etc, not Openreach/BT.

Do you have anything that switches ON particularly in that time slot, eg night-storage heating, someone working a "back-shift" and switching on an oven or even a TV set, on arrival home, showers (very heavy electrical loading - about 8 to 9 KW, compared to a typical 1 bar fire of 1 KW; or TV set at 125 Watts)?

It could also be a neighbour, particularly if you are in a rural situation with long electricity supply lines.

Do lights flicker simultaneously?

Try doing the Quiet Line Test on your phone line during the day a few times, to get an impression of noise levels, then immediately after those drop-outs, to see if there are any differences.
Standard User braiswick
(newbie) Tue 28-Oct-14 11:58:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The least they could do is to offer advice. All they have managed to do so far is make me subscribe to a more expensive service.

As a pensioner I can't accept that the service is cheap. Ensuring that we all have line services as well as broadband means that we pay twice.
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Oct-14 12:04:41
Print Post

How exactly have BT made you subscribe to a more expensive service?

Surely you're a free man and can make your own decisions as to what to buy or not buy and also from whom to buy a service.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Tue 28-Oct-14 12:11:26
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MCM:
How exactly have BT made you subscribe to a more expensive service?

They inferred that going to FTTC would cure it.

Seeing as it didn't would suggest, as has been proposed, that the problem lies closer to home.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to